Multiple keyboards with one channel strip

Miguel Almeida

Imagine this:

You have to keyboard players. They'll both play a piano part (something like a four-hand piano piece). However, if they'll both play in the same patch (grand piano, for example), can I use the same channel strip to both keyboards? I mean, just one machine with several controllers? Something like loogic's "new instrument track with same channel strip setings"

The thing is, I need 6 players for 2 or 3 sounds. Why should I open 6 channel strips?

Thank you

The thing is, I need 6 players for 2 or 3 sounds. Why should I open 6 channel strips?

Hmm, you can probably add one keyboard object to the workspace that listens to "All" MIDI ports and "All" MIDI Channels (or whatever makes sense for you). Then use this keyboard object as the input for your channel strip. This channel strip will then listen too all matching keyboards.

Hmm, you can probably add one keyboard object to the workspace that listens to "All" MIDI ports and "All" MIDI Channels (or whatever makes sense for you). Then use this keyboard object as the input for your channel strip. This channel strip will then listen too all matching keyboards.

Yes, you can do that, but you can't do 2 players one sound, and one other player one different sound.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the setup exactly right here, but my instinct is that this is better solved with the controller settings than within mainstage.

If you've got two to three sounds with six players (which I assume equates to six controllers), then make three "keyboards" within mainstage that listen on three different midi channels. Select "all" for their midi device, and for each sound assign a different keyboard. To switch sounds you merely switch between midi channels on your controllers. This would also give you the ability to layer / split depending on the capability of an individual controller.

I know switching midi channels on the controllers wouldn't be as nice as having an option in mainstage to assign more than one "keyboard" to a channel strip, but the end results shouldn't be any different.

Imagine this:

You have to keyboard players. They'll both play a piano part (something like a four-hand piano piece). However, if they'll both play in the same patch (grand piano, for example), can I use the same channel strip to both keyboards? I mean, just one machine with several controllers? Something like loogic's "new instrument track with same channel strip setings"

Thank you

Yes, you can do that, but you can't do 2 players one sound, and one other player one different sound.

Actually you can with another trick:

MIDI Keyboard A = Channel 1

MIDI Keyboard B = Channel 1

MIDI Keyboard C = Channel 2

Two keyboard objects in the workspace:

MIDI Object a = Port All / Channel 1

MIDI Object b = Port "Keyboard C" / Channel 2

As you see, you have to set the sending channel of your MIDI Keyboard C to #2 to get this trick to work.