Match EQ tricks for making room in the mix.

Some Nutter

I thought I'd write a little trick I've found that the match EQ can be used for, im sure you purest will be horrified at its stupidity, but i've gotten some good results with it.

So what do i do.

Well, apart from matching two sounds to get them sounding similar, you can also use it to cut out one tracks frequencies, say vocals, out of anothers, say drums, to give it more room and make it stand out more.

Step 1:

Put the Match EQ on the required track that you want to reduce conflicting frequencies out of.

Step 2:

In the top right hand corner choose in side chain box the track you want to stand out more.

Step 3:

Click the learn button under template and leave it playing for a while so Match EQ gets a good idea of frequencies.

Step 4:

Now skip the next step that you normally do with Match EQ of learning current material and click match.

Step 5:

Turn down Apply to a negative value. (I never go passed -10 as it is quite sever, but do too taste.)

Step 6

Variables to apply to taste.

-----I find it handy to click the little triangle in the bottom left hand corner and click on fade extremes. You find that it cuts a lot around the bottom and top of the frequency chart.

-----Smoothing is something i turn all the way down to 0 as this gives a much more complex frequeny map.

Anyway give it a go and see what you think.

-----

Ohh Ohh Heres an exeption.

I have somnetimes done the oppisite to good effect. I found that when trying to get my guitar to cut through a bass line that sometimes it pays to have apply in the postive value and exentuate the same frequencies in the bass as the guitar.

Hope this helps someone. I had to post something after all the good help i have got on here. So thanks.

Wow, thats a dirty trick! I love it! I just used it on a mix that I was having trouble getting the bass guitar to come out from hiding. Thanks!

Little extra note: I used it after my channel strip eq that I had already used one the track. Seems to work great. Didn't have to loose the main feeling I was getting from the bass. I was able to make it pretty subtle. Very neat.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

awesome!

quick question... say i have one midi track that i want to put the match eq on, but the vocals are on 2 different audio tracks. should i put 2 "Match EQ" plugins on the same track, one for each side chain? or will the matched eq from the first sidechain also be applied to the 2nd track?