film music

j.s.greenier

Wow, that's good orchestra programming! I love it! Anyway to hear the original industrial song? The band must have flipped! :D

Wanna share the equipment, sample libraries and plug-ins used for that cue?

Still listening, LOVE it!

hey thanks so much for your feedback, David.

The band website is under construction... and their myspace account ( http://www.myspace.com/CIRCUSOFDEADSQUIRRELS ) doesn't have Force Feed in the playlist. I just asked my friend about posting a temp link for listening and he said it was cool.

Force-Feed (Original)

Force-Feed (Orchestral Mix with Vocal)

libraries used:

Woodwinds: VSL

Brass (except TUBA): www.projectsam.com SAM Trumpets, SAM Horns, SAM Trombones... brilliant sounding Brass sample libraries, best out there.

Tuba: VSL

Percussion: again... www.projectsam.com True Strike Percussion... great sounds

Piano: GigaPiano II

All strings & string FX: Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings (my personal fav string library)

I run these all on GigaStudio from a PC into Logic

not really any special processing or plugins ... just a lot of MIDI manipulation

thanks again for checking it out.

yeah i'm right there with you on flash... i LOVE flash for what it is, and what can be done with it... but I HATE what most sites use it for... and i can't stand long intros and such. It's like a DVD when you click on a different section and you have to wait 5-10 secs for a connector video to play before you're taken to the new section... just uncessesary.

<----those are the exact opposite of my intentions and i'm glad that it comes across in the site

Please! Don't get me started on DVDs!!! :twisted:

I have found now that the quickest way to watch a movie on my DVD player is:

1) Press Open to actually turn the player on, wait one sec.

2) Press Open to open the tray.

3) Put the DVD and press play.

4) Press Stop to skip the previews, then menu to reach the menu.

5) Sometimes at this point if there's one of those 15 second spoiler preview before you can reach the menu, I press stop and menu again to skip it.

6) Press Play to reach the FBI warning, and immediately stop, then play again to actually play the movie.

Can you imagine if Logic worked like that? (well.. sometimes it does! But not to freaking play the song!).

• 2 weeks later...
j.s.

really great stuff.

great composition, also loved the guitar piece under performance.

would love to know your signal chain, sound card etc...

thanks for sharing.

thanks so much for your feedback, and listening.

just to let you know, (if you didn't notice the credits on my site when you open "Performance") but "El Decameron Negro" is actually a guitar piece written by Leo Brouwer, with me performing. I can't take credit for that one! heh... If you like classical guitar style music with a modern feel and lots of interesting textures, Brouwer is worth checking out. He's an amazing composer.

I use a MOTU 828MKII on my MAC, and an Echo Layla 3G on my PC. The live guitar from the Brouwer piece was recorded using an SM-57. That's it, just did A LOT of takes... and added some convolution reverb in the end.

Most everything else I use in different pieces comes from sample libraries / synths / drum machines.

Thanks again for listening.

joe

• 7 months later...

Sounds great!

Coincidentally, I have a VERY similar setup to yours in terms of outboard hardware and software instrumnets.

However, you're saying you run these ALL through Gigastudio? Why not just use EXS? Is it because it completely cripples your system? This is currently the problem I'm trying to solve... :(

With these large sample libraries I find I need to constantly reduce polyphony all over the place to try to get from system from overloading. I even upgraded to high end SATA RAID 0 drives... but nothing is really helping. I think it might be time to go GigaStudio. Did you have a similar experience?

Thanks!

-John Seguin

www.seguinsound.com

G5 1.8 Ghz Dual, 2 GB RAM, MOTU 828mkII, VSL/SAM Brass and True Strike 1 & 2

However, you're saying you run these ALL through Gigastudio? Why not just use EXS? Is it because it completely cripples your system? This is currently the problem I'm trying to solve... :(

With these large sample libraries I find I need to constantly reduce polyphony all over the place to try to get from system from overloading. I even upgraded to high end SATA RAID 0 drives... but nothing is really helping. I think it might be time to go GigaStudio. Did you have a similar experience?

John,

The reasons for using GigaStudio instead of EXS are as follows:

First, the task of converting my Giga sample libraries into the EXS format is not worth the effort since a friend of mine did this and has basically lost the ability to use certain embedded fx or things like release etc... that is, use them correctly and how the library is meant to be used and sound. Unless I were to purchase the libraries again specifically for EXS I just don't see the point.

Second, the same friend said that he does get more Polyphony from EXS than that of Giga, but then again he purchased more RAM for his G5 and it's the Dual 2 GHz as well... not that it will make that much of a difference but overall I just figured I'd stay with Giga for now, as it works all right.

But I have a love hate relationship with Giga, it works but then all of sudden I boot up and it won't start, and sound won't work, etc... drives me crazy... overall, in my opinion GigaStudio is not a great piece of software unless it's on a PC 'BY ITSELF', which is rather absurd, but that's how it is.

Just believe me when I say I DON'T get great Polyphony on my PC running Giga, at the most 300 (sometimes a bit more) voices. That may seem like a lot to some people, but I have to mix down tracks while working all the time just so my PC doesn't explode. Although, I'm running Giga on a P4 2.26GHz machine with 1.5GBs of RAM. I'm sure if I upgraded my PC I'd see a bit of an improvement. Although I just purchased a new iMac specifically for email and internet... just for the hell of it I installed WinXP with BootCamp and then installed GigaStudio as well. I don't have an extra sound card at the moment but I was toying with the notion of using the iMac as my Giga Machine as it seemed to work just fine... but I'll probably use the iMac as a Logic Node instead as it seems that I will benefit more in that regard.

Hope that helps

Joe

Just believe me when I say I DON'T get great Polyphony on my PC running Giga, at the most 300 (sometimes a bit more) voices. That may seem like a lot to some people, but I have to mix down tracks while working all the time just so my PC doesn't explode. Although, I'm running Giga on a P4 2.26GHz machine with 1.5GBs of RAM. I'm sure if I upgraded my PC I'd see a bit of an improvement. Although I just purchased a new iMac specifically for email and internet... just for the hell of it I installed WinXP with BootCamp and then installed GigaStudio as well. I don't have an extra sound card at the moment but I was toying with the notion of using the iMac as my Giga Machine as it seemed to work just fine... but I'll probably use the iMac as a Logic Node instead as it seems that I will benefit more in that regard.

Joe,

That's an interesting use for an iMac. I have a similar setup, with an iMac for "general use" stuff, though mine is currently a G4/800 model! Works just fine for email/web/scheduling and such at the moment though...

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences with using Giga and Logic as well as yoru reasoning for going with Giga. Some of your reasons wouldn't make as much sense for me at this time, however. You apparently had already purchased GIGA libraries exclusively whereas I, (having purchased them more recently, I suspect) have multi-installers for them covering both GIGA and EXS24. Granted, with exs, I'm missing the release samples (well, they play, but sound terrible!) which I can very much see the benefit of.

My G5 (dual 1.8Ghz) does have a decent amount of RAM (2 GB) but upgrading it even to 4 GB is still cheaper than buying Gigastudio Orchestra (Giga orchestra looks to be about $450-$500 street as of this writing with 4GB costing me about $400).

The problem I was actually experiencing recently, and which I may post as a "tip" on this board so that others can benefit is using the DV mode for Video. This was my first project doing a orchestral score to video that had a fairly full orchestration. About 60 tracks total, some with key-switched libraries (VSL), not necessarily all playing simultaneously, of course. At any rate, for the first time I was getting these "disk too slow" errors, though the "disk meter" in Logic was not spiking like crazy or anything.

Turns out that the culprit was the DV Video! I had taken these (sometimes as long as 15 minute) Quicktime files that were about 90 MB compressed and had turned them into DV Streams to push out a firewire/DV converter so that I could view them on a normal NTSC monitor. When you convert to DV stream the files become something like 2-3GB in size. Apparently this continuous data stream from my disk (which had nothing on it except the project files -- which only has 1/2 tracks of audio -- the rest of the data was streaming from a separate disk with my sample libraries) was frying my available bandwidth in the machine or something and causing this to happen all the time.

The "quick" fix (which took almost all day to solve) was to simply switch from DV video back to a little Quicktime Window. It was a beautiful setup: two Cinema displays for arrange and environment/mixer and this other monitor for video, but apparently too much for my almost 3-year-old machine! :(

Anyways, that is what caused me to write the last note because I was thinking GIGA might help with this, and I bet it most certainly would, but I REALLY like the ability to do internal renders for fast shipment to a director as oppose to real time as well as just the simplicity of having everything in "one spot".

Again, thanks for your response. I will probably start a different thread asking for others experiences with GIGA+Logic as in doing some searches the other day, yours was one of the only ones I found!

Cheers,

John