Paying homage to Jimmy Page's "The Rain Song"

isaro68

Very nice!

Would love to read your specifics (since that is what we're here for, after all) -- what mics, what type guitars, what plugins, samples (were the drums live or samples?) virtual instruments, etc. were used?

how many guitar tracks were there? It sounds great!

Thank you for the kind words. I guess I never thought anybody would want to know what was used to make this track but I'd be glad to share:

-1971 Martin acoustic guitar

-AKG 414 microphone

-Motu interface (my brothers and he engineered while I played)

Then I used the following instruments from Logic's stock:

-Studio tight kit (so yeah, they're not live drums but I programmed them)

-Liverpool bass (which sounds shaky on it's own but ok when tucked into a track)

-Wurlitzer electric piano (I think it's the first Wurly in the list of elec pianos)

-Choir (used it on one chord to create some drama before the drums come in)

I doubled tracked the acoustic rhythm guitar and panned them hard left & right all the way through. I put that "stereo-spread" on each channel. Then did the same with the overdubbed little riffs. Used a click track also.

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed that. Very nicely played and well recorded. Martin acoustic guitar - figures. Nice microphone, too. I got an Alvarez acoustic/electric two years ago - it's not a Martin, but for around $500, it's a really wonderful instrument. After hearing that recording, I'm going to go play it. I'm still building my chops up after a long hiatus.

Thanks for the great tune!

Regards,

-Frank

Thank you Totigerus and fpatrick08 for the kind words. Glad that you enjoyed the tune.

Yeah fpatrick08, I'm going to use this Takamine electric/acoustic which also cost around $500.00 and see how it sounds. I like the electric/acoustic body because it's usually thinner than the big hollow acoustic. I hear Alvarez makes nice guitars, never had the pleasure of trying one out.

Peace

Those thinner bodies do have a certain appeal. My Alverez is has the same body size as a regular acoustic, it just has a pickup and some basic EQ controls which help. The sound is very good, the neck is surprisingly consistent and the action is set lower than I've seen most acoustics set. It plays exceptionally well and the intonation is excellent. I don't know that much about acoustics, but a lot of people seem impressed by Alverez. I just brought it in for a minor adjustment and the guitar guy who who owned the shop said they were wonderful instruments, and he does a lot of great work.

I hope you have good luck with the next one you're using. Being able to get a nice guitar for that price is great and there are obviously some good new acoustic electrics.

Here's a technique I have not yet tried, but I learned it from this really smart kid who had just graduated from audio engineering school who was very into acoustic guitar music. It seems simple and obvious, but clever. He said, record the pickup, but also mic it and put that on a different track. It's obviously common to double a track and pan the two in opposite directions, but he said that having the two different sounds (mic and pickup) made the whole part much more interesting and versatile. Sounds worth trying, anyway. It does make sense and some of the best ideas are simple.

Keep the acoustic guitar music coming. You play very well and it's such a great sound.

Regards,

-Frank

Archived