Slowing down a LOOP

usualsuspect

It's not so much that I'm confused but I want to understand exactly what you're doing so I can show you how to do it right. If you're saying the other tracks in the project are fine, and yet the Apple Loop is not playing at the right speed, that most probably means the other tracks are not playing at the correct tempo, while the Apple Loop is.

So if that's the case, that wouldn't be a good idea to fix the Apple Loop to match the "wrong" tracks.

So what I'm wondering is: if you turn on the click in Logic (bottom right in the Transport area), is it in time with the other tracks or out of time with them?

Basically, I would like to use a specific apple loop. However, I feel that it is too fast. If this sole loop was slowed down, it would work great with the other, untouched tracks. So yes, I was looking to have this one particular loop use a different tempo than the other tracks. In a nutshell, I was just wondering if you could individually change the tempo of a loop without having it affect the remainder of the project. Just imagine I'm not worried about having the tempos match up.

However, even if this is not possible - I have benefited from your response about turning down the tempo for the overall project. I'm satisfied with this and it works great, I have used it with success. I was just curious if you could have the tempo solely affect individual loops.

Thanks for your help.

//I wasn't able to figure out the "Click" strategy. I clicked it but wasn't sure what to look for. However, based on this response you've probably noticed I'm not really concerned about having the tracks be in time with one another. So I'll look into this part rather than have you explain it again. Thanks

Couple options.

Both will require you to export the appleloop to an aiff/wav file.

Select your appleloop region you want to manipulate/ slow down.

Then select your export option (top menu bar)

File-> Export -> Export region as audio file.

Choose to export in your Project folde, in a subfolder, so all your files are neat and tidy. (makes it easier to backup a project/ take on the road later)

Lets just call this file 'Suspect.aiff' for ease.

Now.. Pull/ Drag Suspect.aiff into logic, Arrage page on the same audio track as original appleloop.

Duplicate loop.

Make a bakupcopy for safekeeping (logic menu bar ->Audio->make region new audio file).

Mute/ delete original appleloop.

Now... open Suspect.aiff' in audio editor (double click the audio regio or press W)

Now in the audio editor window, open the Timestretch functions

Factory -> Time and Pitch machine.

Set the new tempo or pitch you would like and logic will stretch/ shift Suspect.aiff.

See how it fits.

Remember - anything you do in the audio editor is Destructive editing... so once done, well.. done. Hence.. the backup.

Option #2

Slow loop down.. more DJ style

Create new instrument track

Open an EXS

Open EXS editor.. -> new instrument

Pull Suspect.aiff' into the EXS

Have it pitched at C3 (so loop plays normal with that key - just an eg, any key will do)

Save the instrument.

hit a key (say.. C3, or whatever you set)

Now...

On your midicontroller (or in Automation)

Move the pitch up/ down to match your song..

Loop will slow down, but so will pitch.

Hope that helps

Basically, I would like to use a specific apple loop. However, I feel that it is too fast. If this sole loop was slowed down, it would work great with the other, untouched tracks. So yes, I was looking to have this one particular loop use a different tempo than the other tracks. In a nutshell, I was just wondering if you could individually change the tempo of a loop without having it affect the remainder of the project. Just imagine I'm not worried about having the tempos match up.

However, even if this is not possible - I have benefited from your response about turning down the tempo for the overall project. I'm satisfied with this and it works great, I have used it with success. I was just curious if you could have the tempo solely affect individual loops.

Are you aware that if one loop is playing at, say, 100 BPM while the rest of the song is playing at 127 BPM, that it will sound completely chaotic and unrelated, like two radios playing different stations in the same room? Is that the effect you're going for?

• 10 years later...

I saw some guy explaining another technique basically creating your own apple loop:

Before you dive in this technique, make sure you'll be happy with the end result: basically solo your loop and change the project tempo to a value close to what you want your loop to sound in the end. If you're ok with the time distortion, then read on, otherwise, find another technique.

If I summarize it correctly, first you need to bounce your apple loop, so that it's an editable audio file (apple loops are read only). Then, with the cycle locators, define the desired length that you wish that apple loop (now an audio file) should take. Then double click on that audio file and enter the file editor (i.e. not the track editor), Then call the "Functions > Adjust Tempo by Selection and Locators" function, which will make your audio file play at the desired tempo (choose globally in the dialog when prompted). Make sure that the file now sounds exactly as you want it in your project (i.e. solo it to see if you're ok with the time distortion it brought). Also, be aware that this operation will change your global tempo, it doesn't matter for now, we will restore it back in a second. So now that your file is at the good tempo, right click on it and call the function: "Export > Add to loop library" (fill the questions in the dialog that opens, the name of the loop, etc...).

Now that your you can delete the file, then restore the tempo to its original value. Now you can import your new apple loop, which will sound exactly as it sounded before you made it an apple loop.

Well, I guess watching the video might be much clearer.

This worked for me, I had a tambourine sample in an apple loop that was twice too fast than I desired, so I used this technique to slow it half tempo. It worked, however the time distortion was at the limit of too much. I believe this technique is more suited for smaller changes, you might find that this technique doesn't work well with dramatic changes such as half tempo.

Actually I found a faster technique, use the "Functions > Adjust Tempo by Selection and Locators" to roughly adjust your audio file to the tempo you want, then turn on flex for this audio file, with the "Flex&Follow:Beats" option (in the region inspector) and fine tune it (for instance I used flex > rhythmic to adjust each tambourine stroke).