Computer Issues/FIrewire Suspected...

anthonymunoz

Please help! I know this is going to be a bit long, but this is an issue that I have been dealing with for about 2 years. I am working on a Intel Mac Dual 2 mhz with 6 gigs of ram.

I am now running Logic with a Duet, but have had a Digi 003 with Protools LE 8. I have been having endless problems running the software: Losing communication with host, buffer under run, random crashing, sounds from one side only etc. It has never run smoothly even when updating the software, reinstalling a completely new system, or following all instructions from Digidseign. I would estimate that 50% of my time was dealing with problems when in use. Thinking that is was PT, I installed Logic and a Duet. This has some issues where I lose sound and any output all together. In logic you can bypass the interface and just use the system speakers, and that works just fine (although I have no inputs).

In the past year or so, I have fried 3 external hard drives connected to the firewire 400 ports. This got me wondering: Are my firewire ports bad or just unstable? Has anyone had or heard of this kind of problem with firewire 400 ports?

Thanks far any help or advice.

-Anthony

In the past year or so, I have fried 3 external hard drives connected to the firewire 400 ports. This got me wondering: Are my firewire ports bad or just unstable? Has anyone had or heard of this kind of problem with firewire 400 ports

The design of FW400 ports was not good and is prone to shorting. I've had a few external drives fry and I read a lot of the comments on this thread shortly afterwards: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/64873-alert-power-off-before-changing-firewire-switching-hdv-dv.html. As a result I no longer hot-plug devices.