Recording from Keyboard - Stereo

fido94

Hello everyone, I just got Logic Pro few days ago and I am beyond excited! (the piano/guitar/strings samples are beautiful)

I am trying to record from my Yamaha keyboard (motif 8 ) to logic and I would like to record as audit.

I plugged in both R/L into AudioBox USB and on to Logic. I opened an audio stereo track. When I hear the music through logic, the sound doesn't seem like Stereo and I'm not sure what to do. In other words, listening to the music through the keyboard directly is quite different than what I'm hearing through Logic. Things just don't seem to be panned correctly.

Should I be recording two Mono tracks and then pan each track to R or L?

What's the best way to record in this type of scenario?

Thank you

No, you should definitely do it the way you did it: two cables, one left one right, one stereo audio track.

I'm not sure why the sound is different. Are you comparing the headphones out straight from your keyboard to the sound in Logic? Are you comparing two headphones mixes or one headphone and one monitors? Monitors don't tend to give you as much panning perception as headphones, if that makes sense.

No, you should definitely do it the way you did it: two cables, one left one right, one stereo audio track.

I'm not sure why the sound is different. Are you comparing the headphones out straight from your keyboard to the sound in Logic? Are you comparing two headphones mixes or one headphone and one monitors? Monitors don't tend to give you as much panning perception as headphones, if that makes sense.

Thanks David. Yes I'm comparing Headphone to headphone. I forgot to mention that I'm going through PreSonus AudioBox USB for input. Maybe the problem lies there? I can't do any panning through the box. Only can adjust input level.

No, I can't think of why that should create a problem. I would try recording a sound panned hard left and then moving to hard right from your keyboard and see exactly what's going on once it's recorded in Logic?

hmm, ok. Is there a way to adjust panning on a stereo track with Logic? (meaning, adjust the right a left separately within the same track)

No, I can't think of why that should create a problem. I would try recording a sound panned hard left and then moving to hard right from your keyboard and see exactly what's going on once it's recorded in Logic?

It looks like I might have found the issue. the AudioBox has a dial for "Mixed". I turned it all the way to "playback" the sound is normal. Just need to validate through testing.

Thank you for the help!

Archived