Mastering in Logic Express 8, A Big Compromise or not?

JamesDKimble

Hey gang...this newbie geek has a question...does anyone think Logic Express 8 plug ins are sufficient for mastering ones' own simple demos? I'l be burning free give away EP CDs that don't even need to be Redbooked or coded, as such, in order to get folks to my web site and iTunes, etc, to consider purchasing a download or two. Of course, sounding fat and polished is always a good thing. Obviously, Logic Pro has the mastering goodies needed, but IS it within the realm of possibility to polish hard rock/pop with Express' scant mastering fx and presets if I leave it all in wav files and AAC (uncompressed files so to speak)? Then all I want to do is upload to a duplicating house for a cheap batch of 1000 or so to leave around town. Hopefully, this attracts grateful listeners to my sites where I'll have the mp3 dithered versions of all my songs available. Can this DAW do it all alone or is it an absolute must to get the full Logic Pro suite....maybe Ozone4 is the better call over Waveburner, since I'm skipping the coding for freakin' SoundScan, that I don't feel is necessary. BTW, this is an awesome blogsite. RSVP, thanks :)

Before you even think of mastering you'll need to mix your track. One of the fundamental tools for mixing is a good reverb, and Logic Express doesn't have one. I would say the upgrade from Express to Pro is worth it for the "Space Designer" reverb alone. Then, on top of that, you have all your mastering plug-ins.

No way david

This looks like you don't get the point and just want to sell the pro...

First before space designer everybody used platinum verb and you can't say old mixes sound bad just because they don't use the S D...

The only thing is the multipressor that up to logic express 7 was simply useless on the express. But if he plans to use ozone, ... Hum that's quite good tool, including his mastering reverb...

Ah if only logic would have the same 2009 fundamental functions as other daw...

We would have THE DAW

Just I need to keep pressing the S button several times to listen to the arrange!

Wow 8.0.2!

Express is good enough!

Hey gang...this newbie geek has a question...does anyone think Logic Express 8 plug ins are sufficient for mastering ones' own simple demos? I'l be burning free give away EP CDs that don't even need to be Redbooked or coded, as such, in order to get folks to my web site and iTunes, etc, to consider purchasing a download or two. Of course, sounding fat and polished is always a good thing. Obviously, Logic Pro has the mastering goodies needed, but IS it within the realm of possibility to polish hard rock/pop with Express' scant mastering fx and presets if I leave it all in wav files and AAC (uncompressed files so to speak)? Then all I want to do is upload to a duplicating house for a cheap batch of 1000 or so to leave around town. Hopefully, this attracts grateful listeners to my sites where I'll have the mp3 dithered versions of all my songs available. Can this DAW do it all alone or is it an absolute must to get the full Logic Pro suite....maybe Ozone4 is the better call over Waveburner, since I'm skipping the coding for freakin' SoundScan, that I don't feel is necessary. BTW, this is an awesome blogsite. RSVP, thanks :)

:shock:

I think you are confusing two separate contexts.

You want to hand out 1000 free CD's for publicity in the hopes that people will listen to them and then jump on the computer to hear/download a 'dithered MP3 version.'

Nothing wrong with that idea. You have taken the time to write and record your music, you have spent money for the service of having CD's made, Skip the mastering process and go straight to making a 1st impression.

It may be good enough that it doesn't need mastering. It may go double platinum as is. Who knows.

There are qualified engineers who could make your final product sound wayyyy better using Logic Express than an inexperienced person could with the best gear on the market.

That doesn't mean that Logic (pro or express) is necessarily 'good enough' to compete with the pro hardware.

In this case, I don't think mastering will help out much. You are looking for fast and cheap.

That's my 2¢

Archived