Routing a Standalone VST through Logic?

Malynski

the easiest way is rewire.

you can do it without rewire too.

soundflower is for routing audio, but i dont remember which is the one that routes midi, and you route everything so it sends midi from logic to the VST, and Audio from VST to Logic.

im curious, why do you need that?

Thanks for the reply back, I'll give the rewire thing a go. For some reason the VST I'm using does not show up in logic. Even though I have the proper VST and Component files in their respected folders. I'm pretty sure it's an update issue on the VST side but I just wanted to see if there was a way I could do it using the standalone application.

J...

logic doesn't work with VST plugins, so forget that acronym completely

what you need is an AU (AudioUnit)

very few standalone synths support rewire, so Soundflower would be the way to go for routing audio, then you can use OS X's own IAC (Inter-Application Communication) bus to route midi information from Logic to the Standalone synth

btw, there's no such thing as a "standalone VST" - VST is just a plug in format, not a blanket term for software effects/instruments, and as such, needs a compatible host program