Control Surfaces,Automation, & Latency Compensation

shipjumper

Considering purchasing a control surface to make all the fader rides I like to do when mixing.

I pretty much always use Logic with the auto latency compensation on, as a few of my plug ins (example PSP Vintage Warmer) have quite a bit of latency. I do notice that in more complex mixes I can see that what shows on the screen can be quite a bit ahead (timeline) of the sound that comes out. And I am wondering this:

1)when doing fader rides with a control surface, does logic offset the automation you perform, to align it with what you are hearing?

2) is there a delay when you move faders on a control surface based on the latency settings and amount of offset due to the auto latency compensation?

Or..should I just buy one and try it? Figured someone out there has experience with this.

Thanks

• 8 years later...
  • 3 years later...
Any developments with the automation latency when using a fader controller? I'm having the same issue. Mouse writes automation at playhead, faderport writes ahead of the playhead. I noticed the faderport writes correctly in a new session with no plugins but can't get it to be accurate once a mix is close to finished (when you want to finally use the fader for gentle rides).