Reduce Oboe Key Click

Hi,

I recorded some oboe parts the other day using an AKG C1000 and it turns out I miked them slightly too close, and the key click sound is noticeable.

Can anyone think of a way that I can reduce the key click noise? I don't really think EQ can do it as clicks are fairly broadband, and compression isn't really any use as the clicks aren't louder than the notes.....

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers.

It is possible to do it in the audio editor, but most probably there are lots of clicks in your recording, right? So it will be a tedious job. Search for the clicks in the waveform editor, you will find them, they look quite different from the notes. Then select them (be sure you turned the "find zerocross" option on) and reduce their volume by, say, 10dB. This procedure really works, but as told before, it's a lot of work.

Re-recording might be much easier.

I was worried that they were going to be the options!! Thanks for the replies though!

I've actually managed to reduce the effect somewhat by adding a reverb to it with the high frequencies attenuated a great deal.

I can't re-record it as I've got no access to the oboe player and have to hand in my recording for assessment tomorrow! And the editing idea might be a problem as there are long legato sections, so I think that sample-editing out the clicks would affect the actual notes.

I think I'm just going to have to remember not to do it like that again!

It's not a cheap option, but the Sonnox Supressor would be be a very good option for getting the key clicks out of your recording.

You could try the demo if you have an iLok.

Here is the product page: http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/products/Supresser-Product_Info.htm

and here is a demo video: http://dload.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/media/Quicktime/supresser-tutorial.mov

HTH

Hi,

I've had the same problem with clarinet key clicks, and have tried most every option mentioned. I found the best was in the Arrange window, locate the click (in dry audio, no reverb etc.), magnify using magnify tool, and draw the volume down and back up manually in automation for each click. Cutting always seems to add a click of its own, as does redrawing wave form, or using various automated algorhythms. Somewhat tedious, but you're a perfectionist, right?

Ray