before I buy...

I'm new to the board. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find the answer very easily. I want to buy Logic Studio secondhand from a guy in the city. He already has it installed on his macbook. Is it true then that I will only be able to install this on my mac desktop, and on only one computer. I'd like to know if there is a way to install it on any future mac computers I may own in addition to the one desktop.

If you buy it used he has to give you the Serial Number.

If that is legit you can install it on 2 computers, but cannot use it at the same time on both if they're networked or Airport is on because the computers see each other.

Watch out for the scam because if it's just the Logic Pro upgrade and not the full version you would need the dongle for his previous version of Logic! I doubt he wanna give that one up.

So make sure it's the full stand-alone version, not the upgrade.

if I do buy it from this guy I am definitely taking a risk as it's from craigslist. He would give me the serial though, but from what you're saying since he has it installed already, it's only good for one more installation then it's maxed out, right?

Legally you can only do 2 installs, and if the 2 machines are networked you can only use one at a time.

However if the machines are not networked, Logic won't see the other installs.

There's really no way for you to ensure that the seller will uninstall Logic and never use that serial ever again. For all you know, he could sell you the copy then make that same serial available on torrent sites for every pirate to grab.

I suppose you should contact Apple to see what their license transfer policies are?

oh interesting so what you're saying is that if they are not on the same network the serial can actually be used even more than twice. This means if I do purchase it from him (and he hasn't posted it on any pirating sites) then I can put it on more than one of my computers. This could be worth it after all if I can get him to bring the price down. Even used this program is expensive for me right now.

thanks to those who helped me today, and keep any comments coming.

I know this isn't what you are looking to hear, but I really wouldn't suggest going through with the purchase, especially through Craigslist. Logic is an amazing program so I can see why you would be very excited to get ahold of it. Unfortunately, crooks and shady people know that too! If I were you I would take the time to save up enough to get it from a trustworthy source. Otherwise, you might end up getting screwed out of the money you already have, and need to save up from scratch anyway.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.

Again, ask that person if it's an upgrade version or the full stand alone version. If it's an upgrade, you need the XSKey (dongle) of the original Logic version, which he would have and would have to give you also. Logic 8 upgrade won't install without the original dongle.

Don't forget, if you're a bit tight for cash, Logic Express offers almost all the functionality of Pro, minus TDM, surround, some of the high end plugins and the extra applications in the Studio bundle. The application itself, however, is identical

And Logic Express is the same thing as buying into the Logic Studio package... you are more or less making a down payment. Or if anyone besides me is old enough to remember this concept, "layaway".

That's how we used to buy things. Seriously- look it up on Wikipedia!

If I buy logic express, will I later be able to add on those higher end plug ins that pro has? Also, does logic pro actually come with those on the logic pro CD itself or are they on another disc in the package. The reason I'm asking is, the guy who's selling it says he'll give me logic pro for $100 by itself so he can sell the rest of the software separately. Will I still get the high end sequencers and things like that if I get only logic pro by itself without studio or the jam packs.

OK- I've heard enough at this point. Absolutely do not buy this software from this person! While it's maybe possible to install just Logic Pro without the other content, I wouldn't count on it- I don't know if some of this files are spread across the other many discs. They probably are. You will probably end up with nothing.

Also, there is one serial number for the whole package- it isn't designed to be sold separately. Who will have the serial number then? You or the other chumps who bought the other portions of the package? Probably, again, no one will have anything.

You're wasting your time and money. You cannot buy the other components of the package. This is a scam, or the guy is an idiot. You'll be wasting your money.

Do yourself a favor- buy Logic Express, and later the upgrade to the full package. That way you'll me spreading the payment out over two times, and there is plenty in Logic Express to keep you occupied until you put a check or two together.

Do not buy what this person is selling!

Do not buy what this person is selling!

+1.

If Apple realizes that the serial is being used simultaneously by different machines (even though they are not on the same network) and decides to kill that serial, you won't be able to use Logic on your machine any longer.

If I were you I would get an EDU version of Logic Express. Should be about $100.

Ok you guys make good points. I appreciate your time. I'm not going to buy it from this guy. I wasn't aware the the serial is for studio and that the software didn't have individual #s. As you said it's either a scam or (as I suspect) he just doesn't understand the program. Now I'm left with a decision I doubt you can help me on which is to hold out for studio or to get express. The main function I want it for is the mastering tools, but I just thought the advanced midi sequencers, mainly the Sculpture sequencer. From my understanding this sequencer really helps mold midi sounds like the kinds of uses say a britney spears record has where single synth sounds flow nicely through an array of different conditions. That was a poor way of describing it, but I don't know the technical term. Anyway if anyone has any thoughts on this I would like to hear it. I think unless I hear a good argument for getting studio, you guys are pretty much saying right now that express is pretty useful if I'm on a budget.

In any case I'd walk right past this- the fact he's claiming he can sell part of the package to one person and the others to another tells me he 1) either has no idea what he's doing, and should be avoided since this will get all screwed up, or 2) is running some kind of scam, whether its on folks who contact him on Craigslist or he's trying to sell pirated software, or 3) both.

I bought a used copy of Logic Express 7 and upgraded from there. It may still be possible to find an unopened copy of Express 7 at a music store somewhere, by now it would be about $75. This is something I might consider. Still, just buying the Express 8 in the store would be my first thought.

The academic version I would skip, though, since it emphatically does not upgrade to Logic Studio- not that I am aware of. Even if it did upgrade to Logic Studio, it is known that at some point Logic will come out with a new version, and I'm a little excited about the possibility of that, and I would want to be eligible for that upgrade.

So Ben, do not buy anything from this shady Craigslist character, buy Logic Express, later, get Logic Studio. Don't waste your time and money when you could be making music.

Missed your reply- yeah, no Sculpture in Logic Express, but the money you spend on Express is exactly matched when you upgrade- so you spend $200, and you get $200 off of Logic Studio. So in effect you are buying part of it, and you can learn that part, and then get the other stuff.

And for what it's worth, Sculpture isn't my favorite of the synths in Logic anyway, and I think you'll enjoy the ones you have for the time being.

You may be missing one of the jam packs, but I can't be sure. I wouldn't worry about it.

The jam packs should show up in Garageband, but I didn't verify it, so I didn't jump in. I can say you won't be using Garageband any more once you get even a little proficient in Logic, so, I say don't sweat that.

Congratulations! You're going to love it. Check out Dave's book and get started on it, it's not too hard to learn, but it is helpful to have some structure. I've been in an audio production program, and have had to learn these things... as well as use Logic, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Tracktion, and a whole host of other related things. It was a real toss up whether Logic or Digital Performer would be my go to DAW- Logic pulled ahead, at the time, it was just the best. DP caught up in the one area it was the weakest- convolution reverb- but Logic is still great.

Be sure to post here when you have questions. I think you've found what a good resource this can be, and audio folk and musicians stick together is what I've found. Good luck, L