How can I connect an external FW Hard drive to a new macbook

Hey Guys,

I have a new macbook and am running an external 7400rpm USB2 hard drive. It works fine, red baring does happen on occasion in Logic but there's nothing i can do about it, because apple were stupid when it came to designing the new macbook. hmm I could get a usb/firewire converting hub but would the audio streaming run at FW speed?

this is really annoying, I just want a nice stable connection. Are there any ways of connecting a FW hard drive to my macbook?

Plllease help! :)

that wasnt really the answer i was looking for!

I bought the newer macbook becazuse of the tech spec! bigger harddrive, faster CPU, better looks, newer operating system! for £150 more you cant go wrong!

so, back to the point. Are there any solutions to my problem (since ive already bought the macbook?)

p.s

this isnt a bigt deal, my 7200rpm external HDD is working fine, but id rather a FW HHD just be be on the safer side!

Thanks guys

that wasnt really the answer i was looking for!

I bought the newer macbook becazuse of the tech spec! bigger harddrive, faster CPU, better looks, newer operating system! for £150 more you cant go wrong!

so, back to the point. Are there any solutions to my problem (since ive already bought the macbook?)

p.s

this isnt a bigt deal, my 7200rpm external HDD is working fine, but id rather a FW HHD just be be on the safer side!

Thanks guys

In short, no. There is no solution to your FW dilemma. The new macbook will not support it. Period. Sorry.

However, looking at your current setup, and comparing the WhiteBook to your set up....

same CPU speed,

same RAM capacity (negotiable)

same graphics chip,

same Operating System (Leopard)

different looks

++FW400 port

in review, it would appear that you purchased your laptop based on looks - which is fine, but you paid a premium for that newly designed case, and lost the option for Firewire.

:shock:

I'm certain THAT wasn't what you wanted to hear! But I'm happy that your USB2.0 drive is working out for you. Stick with that, maybe upgrade to a Macbook Pro sometime in the future if your needs outgrow your current machine.

Lots of us went through what you're describing, btw. (the dilemma of buying a new macbook vs. the ability to use FW... you're not alone). I opted for selling my old mini and macbook for a nicer iMac. Haven't regretted it at all!

The new macbooks without fire wire are a bit of a turkey. I recently forced someone to buy a macbook 2nd hand rather than new so that it came with the FW port.

I've bought turkies before, like this macbook pro I'm using now which only has 7/8s of a FW hub. Like you, I should have looked at the matter more carefully.

For now you can learn from your mistakes, and maybe get a top spec internal for your macbook (500gb @ 5400rpm / 320gb @ 7200rpm).

I've been looking at the imacs, I might have to invest in one...

My laptop works nicely for me atm, so im no no rush what so ever to sell and move on. Ill just see how i feel in a few months!

I have the white mack book with the FW400 port. You do not need to lose sleep over this because you won't see much of a difference. The freeze function will benefit you, but that's your choice.

Use the external drive to back up your projects.

If you will be getting in to larger projects, then naturally you will need to venture into a larger more powerful comp.

I think that thing still requires a FW connection to the computer.

What a useless laptop. No FW 400, no FW 800, no express 32... WTF good is that thing?

Tippie123, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if you're serious about using a computer for audio, you should sell that POS and buy something else.

lol its certainly not a piece of s#!+!

It does what i need it to do, and well! to be honest, I just want that security of having a faster/more reliable system!

I'll be buying a mac pro sometime in the near future, but this laptop is serving me well!

lol its certainly not a piece of s#!+!

It does what i need it to do, and well! to be honest, I just want that security of having a faster/more reliable system!

I'll be buying a mac pro sometime in the near future, but this laptop is serving me well!

I hope marcel72 was kidding. You certainly do NOT own a piece of sh!t... and you well know it! If your situation should become one that you would need more computer power, do what I did - sell your laptop on ebay. Macs are notorious for holding value, so don't sweat it. And if you never need more comp-power, no worries.

I would definitely continue to use that USB2.0 drive for backups* etc. though. You never know when your laptop will begin that horrifying "clicking" noise denoting the death of your HD.

Cheers!

*I actually have several back-up drives. (can you tell I lost some important data at one point?)

No, it's not really a POS for what it is, and it would be fine for many of the things that a casual user would purchase a laptop for. However, I will repeat:

If you are serious about using your computer as a recording device, this is not the computer for you.

It is not a question of available CPU power or memory (although I don't know its capabilities in these areas), it is a question of limited I/O options. A single USB2 bus is IME woefully inadequate for the multiple routing requirements of a DAW, namely the simultaneous streaming of audio to and from an interface and a read/write location.

I think you should consider this quite seriously.

I knew what i was buying when i bought it, and I have adequate USB 2.0 ports along with a seperate hub with an additional 7 ports. Everything works great, and im happy with my equipment atm!

Firewire is something i want, so yeah in the future (when i actually have enough money) ill buy a Mac more suited

Im thinking mac pro....who knows?

Archived