Opening project corruption nightmare.

4d

Hi all hope this finds you im good health.

Bit of a weird one this problem but would love to solve it.

I'm running a g5 10.5.1 logic 8.0.0

I opened a project created by a friend on pro 7.2.3 worked on it for a few hours and basically finished it... Saved bounced to play in club last night. Got back home earlier and planned to tweak mix down... However when I try and open the project it gets to point just before it scans the exs24 instruments and I hear a warning tone then the mouse becomes the spinning black and White loading icon and will not go any futher?!?! Logic then has to be force quit.

I know I could update both osx and logic to newer versions however would rather not as a) logic is running really well atm (other than this issue) and b) am worried that if that doesn't work it's even more unlikely that the project will ever open again...

Just fyi all of my other projects created on 8 open absolutely fine - just not this one which was originally created with 7...

Pretty worrying tbh and would really appreciate any advice on this matter.

Try with trashing the preferences: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist

Thanks for this much appreciated - however is this likely to cause any problems by doing this?

Nope hasn't fixed the problem still can't access the project just keep getting the black and White ball which makes me have to force quit logic... Anyone more suggestions? Really frustrating that something like this happens to which logic gives me no clue or advice as to what the problem is and how to fix it?!

I just had a problem with Logic 8 that sounds very similar. Someone suggested I open Logic (with a blank or working project), then go into preferences and turn audio off (check box). Then when I loaded the file that hung, Logic didn't load the esx files. If that works then you'll have the file at least. What I then did was to reset the instrument in the tracks that used the esx sampler to "no plug-in". Then I turned audio back on in preferences and reset the tracks with the esx instruments and it 'found them'. My problem was due to something with the Logic 7 - Logic 8 upgrade, so this last part might not solve your problem, but let's hope it will. In any case, I'd try turning audio off in preferences and loading the file. Hope that helps.

Regards,

-Frank

Hi frank, your detailed response is much appreciated however this hasn't solved the problem either... Still can't open the project! NIGHTMARE!

Does any one else have any ideas as to how to solve this ridiculous problem?!

Many thanks.

I also had a similar problem. Although this may not be a fix but what saved me was I went to the most recent project file backup before the problem occurred and and luckily everything I needed was there. Try that check your automatic backups. It should open just make sure you go far back enough.

I also had a similar problem. Although this may not be a fix but what saved me was I went to the most recent project file backup before the problem occurred and and luckily everything I needed was there. Try that check your automatic backups. It should open just make sure you go far back enough.

Unfortunately I've tried this and it is of no use as the whole session was very productive so back up 1,2,3 are of no use as don't have all parts needed and back ups 4 and 5 can't be opened due to the same problem as main song file...

Any other ideas logic pro forum?

Many thanks once again.

i have had a similar problem and found the culprit to be the korg legacy cell.

if i turned it of in the au manager the song would open.

are you using many third party soft synths/plugins?

could be a conflict there.

i have also had this happen with addictive drums.

in both cases i discovered the problem by turning things off in the au manager and seeing if the session would start. that might be a good place to start

i then had to reinstall the soft synths responsible..

hope this helps,

simon

Nope. It's kinda refresh of Logic. Go for it! :wink:

WRONG!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, trashing prefs can sometimes get Logic to operate correctly again if Logic seems to be misbehaving. BUT... trashing prefs will also...

• destroy your custom key command assignments (unless you've deliberately saved them ahead of time)

• destroy (irretrievably) your list of recently opened project files

• reset any custom settings to the preferences themselves, causing Logic to behave in ways you don't expect!! You'll then waste more time going through all of those prefs to set them back to the way you need them to be.

Do NOT go trashing prefs willy nilly unless you've done a thorough amount of troubleshooting first. And then, if you do trash the prefs, don't actually trash them. Move the file to the desktop instead so you can reinstall it again (or at the very least get your key commands back).

Yes, you are right for the key commands. But I always have a copy of them. About the recently opened projects-I don't think it's a big loss. The custom settings are really important. But while he is talking about trying hard everything to open the project seems to me, that it's about time to trash the prefs. Well, almost, if trashing the AU cache doesn't help. Anyway, it's my fault to give such advices didn't knowing if the person makes a copy of the prefs file. :roll:

Hi guys thanks for your advice - unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem

I have tried moving the audio units preferences to the desktop but still couldn't open project.

I also tried disabling every single plugin I have in the audio units manager by unchecking the box underneath the heading 'logic' and this didn't allow me to open the project either...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much for your support lpf - wish apple were more support orientated with their 'pro' products especially after buying pro 7 and 8, two laptops, a desktop etc all from them...

Once again I really appreciate the help!

• 2 weeks later...

If you can start L8 while holding the control after loading, bypassing the core, chances are the problem lies within the AU manager.

This can happen if the Audio Unit cache file is unusable (corrupted). To resolve the issue, go to ~/Library/Caches (where "~" represents your user folder) and remove the com.apple.audiounits.cache file. Next time you start Logic, the installed Audio Unit plug-ins will be rescanned and Logic should then startup normally.

My suspicions are along the same lines as Swalb and Yamahadrums - that it's a third-party plugin problem. Nearly every problem I've had with Logic has either been that or corrupt preferences, and you already know that it's not Logic's preferences

If you have used any third-party plugins on that project what I would suggest is to remove them from your Components folder and try to open the project. If it is one of those third-party plugins that's causing the problem then you should be able to open the project. Save and then add each plugin until you discover the culprit.

You may even find that once you've reinstalled all those plugins that project functions normally. That's happened to me a few times - removing the offending plugin and reinstalling it solves whatever problem Logic was having.

Hopefully that's all it is. Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

All you need to do is go to your audio units plugin folder (Library/Audio/Plugins/Components or User/Library/Audio/Plugins/Components) and manually remove those third-party plugs that you've used in the project and place them in a newly-created folder on your desktop.

If the project opens (the plugins that you removed will have a line through them), then you know that it's one of those plugins.

As I mentioned in my earlier posting, sometimes all you need to do is save the project, quit Logic and move the plugins back into your components folder and reopen Logic and, for reasons that I can't explain, the project is restored to it's pre-crash state.

If this doesn't work you'll need to to repeat the removal of the plugins from the components folder again and replace them one at a time until you come across the offending plugin. You may need to trash its preference file in order to get it working properly again.

• 1 month later...
If you can start L8 while holding the control after loading, bypassing the core, chances are the problem lies within the AU manager.

This can happen if the Audio Unit cache file is unusable (corrupted). To resolve the issue, go to ~/Library/Caches (where "~" represents your user folder) and remove the com.apple.audiounits.cache file. Next time you start Logic, the installed Audio Unit plug-ins will be rescanned and Logic should then startup normally.

Will doing this erase any of my custom plugin presets?

Just fyi all of my other projects created on 8 open absolutely fine - just not this one which was originally created with 7...

This is the crux of the matter. Try having your friend open it in 7.

If it still doesn't work in 7, then you have probably have a rare but showstopping form of project corruption and you're out of luck.

If it opens in Logic 7, try re-saving it as a project in a new folder and opening that in 8.

Hi,

99% of time, corrupt songs are due 3rd party plugins. My advice is to follow the procedure reddog explained. You will not loose anything because you just move stuff, and most certainly you`ll put it back in the same place later.

So, follow reddog instructions and after that start Logic and try to open the song. If it does, quit Logic, put SOME plugins back in place and try again. If it opens you quit and put some more AU back. If it doesn`t open then you know that one or some of the recently added AUs is/are the problem. Usually it`s one. You track it and reinstall it with a newer version if possible

If you can`t open the song even with no AU then try to remove (copy to a different place) EXS programs.

Also 10.5.1 is a little old... 10.5.4 runs nice here.