Interface / External Drive Help with Connections

I just got an iMac 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM (Firwire 800 port only) and I'm trying to get it set up to use Logic 8. I have a Edirol FA-66 Midi/Audio Firewire interface -- but it only has a 400 port on it. I don't use a ton of audio track -- mainly midi.

I'm also looking at external hard drives from macsales.com that would have both 400 and 800 ports --- so my question is -- will I be able to connect the computer to the external hard drive (using the 800 ports), then from the hard drive to the midi interface (using the 400 ports)?

Can I connect from my interface's 400 port into my computer's 800 port?

Thanks.

You can daisy-chain firewire peripherals no problem. The moment you connect a FW400 to a FW800 the speed comes down to FW400.

So you could get a FW800 to FW400 cable adapter and then connect the computer to your Edirol and from the other port of the Edirol to your external HD (assuming the Edirol has 2 FW400 ports in the back).

You can daisy-chain firewire peripherals no problem. The moment you connect a FW400 to a FW800 the speed comes down to FW400.

So you could get a FW800 to FW400 cable adapter and then connect the computer to your Edirol and from the other port of the Edirol to your external HD (assuming the Edirol has 2 FW400 ports in the back).

Without meaning to disrespect the OP, is there any chance of getting a FW400-FW800 sticky at the top of the Control Room forum - seems this question is coming up a lot these days since Apple dropped the 400 ports.

Thanks -- that's very helpful. The Edirol does have 2 FW400 ports on it.

One clarifying question -- wouldn't it be better to connect the external hard drive to the computer using an 800 to 800 cable and then connect the Edirol to the external hard drive using a 400 to 400 cable? The hard drive has both 400 and 800 ports on it. I'm thinking that the connection from the Mac to the hard drive would be faster than what you suggested below or am I missing something?

Thanks,

CO

>>>So you could get a FW800 to FW400 cable adapter and then connect the computer to >>>your Edirol and from the other port of the Edirol to your external HD (assuming the Edirol >>>has 2 FW400 ports in the back).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks -- that's very helpful. The Edirol does have 2 FW400 ports on it.

One clarifying question -- wouldn't it be better to connect the external hard drive to the computer using an 800 to 800 cable and then connect the Edirol to the external hard drive using a 400 to 400 cable? The hard drive has both 400 and 800 ports on it. I'm thinking that the connection from the Mac to the hard drive would be faster than what you suggested below or am I missing something?

Thanks,

CO

>>>So you could get a FW800 to FW400 cable adapter and then connect the computer to >>>your Edirol and from the other port of the Edirol to your external HD (assuming the Edirol >>>has 2 FW400 ports in the back).

I too have the very same question. The previous speaker says it is better to have the audio interface first in the daisy chaining. Does that mean that the signal path to be preferred is

Audio Interface > via Firewire 400 >

External Hard Drive > Via Firewire 800 > Logic/iMac?

I understand that the signal path isn't accelerated to Firewire 800 after the Hard Drive, But then Logic still be transferring data at firewire 800 to the hard Drive?

So is there any point having a hard Drive with a firewire 800 connection if your audio interface is only firewire400? Or is a HD with high transfer rate still preferable

Actually I would do it the other way and run my rig that way all the time and know many others that do the same. In a FW daisy chain you want your fastest FW devices attached first so the speed stays up, then attach your slower devices. So I would set it up

Computer FW800->Ext HD FW800->Interface to HD's FW400 port.

Actually I would do it the other way and run my rig that way all the time and know many others that do the same. In a FW daisy chain you want your fastest FW devices attached first so the speed stays up, then attach your slower devices. So I would set it up

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. The moment you plugin a slower FW400 device everything else goes down to that speed. This topic has been talked about to death.

Have you done an actual comparison with accurate data to backup that statement?

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. The moment you plugin a slower FW400 device everything else goes down to that speed. This topic has been talked about to death.

Have you done an actual comparison with accurate data to backup that statement?

If I can find one of the FW doc's I was reading I will post the link, but FW acts like a switch and each device runs at the speed of the port it is connected to during its connection slice. Now most of what we are dealing with audio is continuous steam and the speed difference in a continuous stream is minimal. The burst speed is where you mainly see the speed difference between FW400 and FW800. So a lot of factor come into play in this scenario.