Can playhead go to where I just clicked?

smnsez

Hi there!

I'm a new convert to Mac and Logic Pro 8, coming from PC running Sonar. I'm hoping this is an easy thing to do...

While Logic is not playing....when i click anywhere in the arrange window, the playhead doesn't jump to where I just clicked. In Ableton, Sonar, Acid, Sound Forge, etc. this is a feature. If I'm working in a part of the arrange area and the playhead isn't where i want it, I would just click the mouse somewhere in the arrange area near where I'm working and the playhead would go to the location and the next time I pressed play, it would play from that spot.

The nearest equivalent I can find in Logic is clicking the ruler. I'm wondering if I'm missing something, being a newbie and all. Can you just click on the arrange window and the playhead jump there? And if not, are there more convenient workarounds than going all the way up to the ruler to click? Like a keyboard shortcut maybe? I guess I'm a lazy lol

I read through the manual's arrangement and working with tracks section and also looked for it in the Apple Pro Training Series Logic Pro Book.

Can someone let me know how to do this?

Thanks!

Finny

Mac Pro

Logic 8

Hello Finny and welcome to the forum.

Short answer – no. The only way to the move the playhead with a mouse click is as you’ve said, in the ruler. I am now used to using the “,” and “.” keys to move backwards and forwards a bar; one advantage of which is the play head snaps to the bar. Use with the shift key to move backwards and forwards by 8 bars.

I originally used Cubase and it took me quite a while to stop clicking in the arrange. I agree with you, it would be a welcome (optional) feature.

…and so would being able to play from current play head position regardless of whether cycle is on or off … but that’s another story! :P

Hey Tyrone, thanks for the welcome and the info!

It's strange that you can't do those things in Logic. My expectations about Macs usability was pretty high and for the most part I'm glad I made the switch. I guess there's always room for improvement. I remember us nagging forever for native sidechain support in Sonar...I guess every app has its areas of improvement.

I wonder if it was a conscious decision by the Logic team...it seems like such a basic usability feature (I don't know of a timeline based editing app that doesn't have this) that I can't imagine they simply overlooked it, especially since some of the other usability features are so amazing.

I will definitely try out those shortcut keys! And I guess I'll make use of the Mackie Jog wheel more too

Short answer – no. The only way to the move the playhead with a mouse click is as you’ve said, in the ruler.

You can also move the playhead with the mouse by clicking and dragging the line itself - not in the ruler.

Then of course as you mention you can move it by using key commands. This has the advantage of moving in steps (which you can predefine).

There are various other options for playback which I find very, very useful. Assigning an easy key command to "Play From Selection" is probably one of the most useful ones in Logic.

You simply select a part and press the key command and it plays back from there - even ignoring if you have an active cycle area. Very useful as it means you can preview stuff all around the arrangement without having to change or temporarily disabled and enable the cycle function.

Combine the "Play From Selection" key command with the Solo key command you have a powerful preview function without breaking your previous loopbased workflow.

Also check out "Stop or Play From Last Position", and "Play From Left Window Edge".

I personally don't have any need for a Pro Tools like "click in the arrange" feature, I would probably find it annoying in my workflow.

Play from selection is one of my favourites 'get the playhead to here' commands also.

Another useful tip is to use the Marquee tool:

I have assigned the Marquee tool as my secondary (Command key) tool.

Hold down Command and click anywhere in the Arrange. A small vertical white line appears.

Press Play (space bar) and the playhead will begin playback from that point.

Like "Play from selection" this works regardless of whether a Cycle area is active.

@ Lager, congrats on becoming an ADP :-)

I personally don't have any need for a Pro Tools like "click in the arrange" feature, I would probably find it annoying in my workflow.

Agreed, it doesn't support a lot of editing workflows, which is why Pro Tools allows you to toggle "Link Timeline and Edit Selection". With this off, it's much like Logic's operation. I've not seen any serious Pro Tools editors use the linked mode, now that I think about it.

For Logic, the Marquee tool is the secret to starting playback by clicking anywhere in the Arrange. A single click without dragging will create a play start point.

[Edit: Doh! Ronnie beat me to it!]

Agreed, it doesn't support a lot of editing workflows, which is why Pro Tools allows you to toggle "Link Timeline and Edit Selection". With this off, it's much like Logic's operation. I've not seen any serious Pro Tools editors use the linked mode, now that I think about it.

For Logic, the Marquee tool is the secret to starting playback by clicking anywhere in the Arrange. A single click without dragging will create a play start point.

[Edit: Doh! Ronnie beat me to it!]

Fair point – but I think it really depends on which work flow you are used to. If you have been “brought up” with a DAW that doesn’t allow play head placement by clicking in the arrange then, yes, you would find it very odd. But not everybody has that background. Certainly anyone that comes from a Cubase background finds it hard.

I don’t agree that it doesn't support a lot of editing workflows. Cubase has many some superb editing facilities and workflows. No, I am not a Cubase a fanboy, but I think it’s unfair to say that this facility doesn't support a lot of editing workflows.

I know there are many others ways of placing the play head, but not all are so useful. Probably the quickest is to command click, but this assumes that the marquee tool is your second tool, it requires two hands and not one, and it has to be cancelled otherwise all subsequent plays will start from the same position.

To me, an obvious solution would have been to make it an option in preferences, then everybody can be happy.

Tyrone

The Marquee tool method can be a very quick tool depending on how you set it up IMHO.

If you don't want to use two hands... set the right mouse button to be assignable to a tool

Logic Pro > Preferences > Global [Editing]

Then set it as the Marquee tool.

Now to play from any position right click on any area in the Arrange.

Press Play.

To cancel that selection either right click any where else to set a new playback point or click (with Pointer tool) to deselect Marquee selection.

So really with this method we are talking about 3 clicks and one hand. One to set the Marquee point, one to play, one to deselect Marquee.

:)

Tyrone

The Marquee tool method can be a very quick tool depending on how you set it up IMHO.

If you don't want to use two hands... set the right mouse button to be assignable to a tool

Logic Pro > Preferences > Global [Editing]

Then set it as the Marquee tool.

Now to play from any position right click on any area in the Arrange.

Press Play.

To cancel that selection either right click any where else to set a new playback point or click (with Pointer tool) to deselect Marquee selection.

So really with this method we are talking about 3 clicks and one hand. One to set the Marquee point, one to play, one to deselect Marquee.

:)

Hi Ronnie

Thanks – I had completely forgotten about setting the tool as a right click tool. That does make it a lot easier and quicker.

I guess the only down side then is that any selection you currently have is lost, just so you can quickly play from a particular point.

Thanks Ronnie

(PS you are just down the road from me!) :)

Hi Ronnie

Thanks – I had completely forgotten about setting the tool as a right click tool. That does make it a lot easier and quicker.

I guess the only down side then is that any selection you currently have is lost, just so you can quickly play from a particular point.

Thanks Ronnie

(PS you are just down the road from me!) :)

Hi Tyrone

I didn't realise Cirencester was so close!

Good point. You will lose your current "Marquee" position if you click anywhere else...

- You could create markers where the Marquee selection is. Though that may not be the most convenient way to remember last Marquee point.

or

- Another way would be to use the "Play from left window edge" as Lagerfelt suggested... That would involve you scrolling so the area you want to playback sit near the left edge of the Arrange area on your screen.

or

- when you make a Marquee point, set locators and then turn off Cycle and use the "Play from left locator key command...

or

- keep the Marquee point, move the playhead using the key commands and if you want to play from a position other than the Marquee point press Pause twice.

These are all workarounds of course and depending on your workflow it may be easier to move the playhead in the Ruler Bar ;-)

Guys..guys.. guys... you are all suggesting ideas which take too long. Now if you dont mind me swaggering into the saloon a little giddy with the excitement that I am going to teach y'all something amazing ready, Ok ? [takes a swig of whisky]

Forget "Play from Selection" - this command is a waste of time in relation to the one I am going to give you. The very very quickest method and most accurate to get around in Logic is

Go to Selection

• Set this up with a single Key Command - no modifier junk, ok - I just use G

• With your mouse click on absolutely any object: region, note, chord symbol or Piano Roll note -press G and abracabra the Playhead jumps right there and you hit Space Bar and you are away......

Two clicks and you are playing from the point you want to hear from - far more accurate than Play from Selection, because it gives you that split second to check you are at the right point before the sequencer is in motion - and more importantly you can navigate instantly to a VERY PRECISE point in the Score, Arrange or Piano Roll etc

Plus it winks when it is selected so you know where you are

PS Other crucial Key Commands for Navigation in Logic ( with my own personal preference for assignments)

Fast Forward - F12 ( this leaps ahead 8 bars at a time)

Fast Rewind - F9 ( this leaps back 8 bars at a time)

Forward - F11

Rewind - F10

Go to Next Marker - F8

Go to Previous Marker - F7

(these in connection with "Create Marker w/o Rounding" - Y

means you can quickly set up Navigation Points to move quickly

around)

In this area use the command Apple + M to open a text box and give the marker a quick name if you need to

Forward by Division - F6

Rewind by Division - F5

(these are incredibly useful in Score Editor or Piano Roll)

Scrub Forward - K

Scrub Backward - F

(very useful for sliding the Playhead just a little bit forward or back)

And finally another absolutely brilliantly useful KC:

Go to Bar Number #

I have this set to the \ key just next to the Return button

This way you can look at the Arrange Window in a Zoomed out position pick out a bar number:

• Hit "Go to Bar Number"

• Tap in Bar number & Press Return

Playhead instantly goes to precise location

Also - this KC remembers the last entry so the default number I always have is 1 - which means that if I want to go absolutely instantly to the Song Start I just press \ + Return right next to it and I am at the song start in a microsecond

This may seem like too much information but it is worth investing in the time to use these as navigation in Logic is very very flexible.. which is why Sibelius drives me up the wall ( and it also nothaving Midi Sequencer .. but that's another story)

In terms of creativity and overall view of a Song, Logic is absolutely brilliant for being able to jump around a Song, whether it is midi, audio or score editing which is why - despite all its bugs and enfuriating failures, I personally wont be turning to any other DAW for the foreseeable future

HTH

Music Spirit ;

Forget "Play from Selection" - this command is a waste of time in relation to the one I am going to give you. The very very quickest method and most accurate to get around in Logic is

Eh, no.

Actually Go To Selection will make you waste one more click/press.

That'll amount to about 78,000 wasted clicks per year for me on this function alone.

@lagerfeldt and @shivermetimbers

Since we clearly dont share the same sense of humour, I wont offer any more wit.

So seriously, did you guys actually try my suggestions?

I did try the Marquee Tool white stripe idea. It is indeed ingenious but not useful for my kind of workflow. Imagine the following kinds of work situations:

Audio loops & editing only by bar increments: here 'Play from Selection' KC and the 'White Stripe Markee' may be adequate. The object you are looking at are fairly large on the Arrange

Midi Composing/Score Editor/Piano Roll: I challenge you to try out some of the techniques I listed above. You will find that they are absolutely essential to navigate to very precise points.

Its not that I am trying to start a beef with anyone but the Original Poster should not have his possibilities foreclosed by someone with an Apple Trainer qualification slagging off a perfectly good suggestion from a very experienced Logic user

Namaste :)

Music Spirit

Guys..guys.. guys... you are all suggesting ideas which take too long...

I had to stop reading at the point where you suggest using 3 steps is faster than using 2 steps.

:D

Maybe that was the funny part? Oh, I give up.

The great thing about Logic is indeed that you can achieve almost anything in at least 3 different ways.

Find whatever suits your own workflow.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'm finding with Marquee tool (added it as my right click like Ronnie suggested) and shift+return to get to a selection or shift+enter to play from Selection are working great.

Music Spirit, I'm going to try out some of those keys you set up too.

U guys rock! :D

Hi, After all the above suggestions one must not forget that clinking anywhere in the LOGIC arrange area page means regreshing LOGIC [David said this somewhere in the forum or must be in his book]and that has really helped me[i constantly do it]considering LOGIC 8 has lot of bugs.[ WINDOWS people regularlly require " refresh "]

Sometimes small things make a big difference and can help you in a way which is unseen but constant.

Hi, After all the above suggestions one must not forget that clinking anywhere in the LOGIC arrange area page means refreshing LOGIC [David said this somewhere in the forum or must be in his book]

I think you're probably talking about something I wrote in my book, but it wasn't to refresh Logic, but rather to ensure that you deselect everything before you perform certain editing operations.

Hey David,

I'm really getting alot out of your book, btw! Actually I picked up your book before getting a Mac and Logic to help me be sure the features I'd grown to rely in Sonar were available on Logic. Now that I have Logic, it's fun to go back and actually do the lessons.

I'm on Chapter 5 now :-) Very clear and useful exercises!

i bought the alpha track control surface and though it's a little bit of a let down in terms of accessing a lot of different parameters its great for zipping around the arrange. its got a little mouse pad kinda scroll bar that also works great for goto next marker. advancing to the next marker and automatically brings the loop along to the next 2 markers. great for mixing.