how to change time signature + tempo?

mwcharger

im sorry if this question is unclear but:

1. how do i change the time signature several time within a song,

IE: verse in 7/8 then switch to 4/4 for the chorus

2. how can i change the tempo without effecting the speed the recorded tracks will play at? i can never figure out what tempo to set my song to and i usually dont know until im about half done; the only problem is when i try to change it then however it always effects the speed the midi tracks are played

okay i think that awensers #2 but 1 is still unclear. i want different time signatures in one song; would that method allow me to change mid song?

yup you can do it in the signature global track or the Signature list in the media/lists area.

For me, a quick easy way is: place the playhead in the desired bar. Change the time signature in the Transport bar. Repeat.

okay i think that awensers #2 but 1 is still unclear. i want different time signatures in one song; would that method allow me to change mid song?

yup you can do it in the signature global track or the Signature list in the media/lists area.

For me, a quick easy way is: place the playhead in the desired bar. Change the time signature in the Transport bar. Repeat.

Dude, you're the man. i was going to post a new subject in here, but i decided to search instead....glad i did. thnx, david. quick question, though: would that 'Shortcut" you just mentioned work for a tempo change, too? no, right? are there any shortcuts for that?

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome, David. Very helpful! I am starting to use Logic Pro for composing for high school band music, which oftentimes will switch around time signatures.

Just got the Nahmani Apple Pro Training Series book on Monday and finished Chapter 1. Good stuff in there!

Mike

• 3 years later...

The only place there are time signature presets is in the Score Editor's part box, but they're all single sigs. In Logic there aren't time signature presets like you're looking for. So the way to go about this most effectively is to create, copy, and paste in the global time signature track. Step-by-step:

1• open the global signature track

2• use the pencil tool (or other method) to enter your time sigs (2, 3, 3, 5, per your example)

3• in the global sig track, click on the first sig, then shift+click to select the remaining ones

4• CMD-C copy

5• set the playhead to the desired location to paste

6• CMD-V paste

7• repeat steps 5 and 6 as needed

There is also the time signature list where you can do this too, but I'd advise doing it as I described above.

2. how can i change the tempo without effecting the speed the recorded tracks will play at? i can never figure out what tempo to set my song to and i usually dont know until im about half done; the only problem is when i try to change it then however it always effects the speed the midi tracks are played

Have you tried the VariSpeed?

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=16%26section=11%26tasks=true