Separating drums to different channels "easily"

L. A. Stone

I'm new to Logic, and new around here, but I appreciate all the advice I see floating around here. I have some of my own that I just worked out.

If you're like me and need to be able to easily and quickly separate drum parts to separate channels, even if the drumkit is a garageband kit which normally has no options for routing, here's a trick.

I made a drumloop with Garageband's drumkit. I did a Region/ Split/Demix/ Demix by Note Pitch. You get a bunch o f separate tracks in the Arrange view and, at first, this looks like you're done, but Logic still sends them all to the same mixer in the channel, and these instruments are still the same exact instrument. So I copied the channel strip settings from this instrument (Instrument 1), went down and pasted it into Instrument track number 7. I did the same in Instruments 8, 9, 10 and so on, for the number of midi tracks I'd created. Then I moved the midi part from Instrument 1 to Instrument 7, The next midi part to instrument 8, the next part to instrument 9 and so on till all each midi part was now associated with a new instrument track. Press play and behond, they have separate channels in the mixer. You can delete the original instrument tracks if you wish. Instrument number 1, if you reuse it later will still have that drumkit assigned to it unless you remove it but I don't think it really matters for the tip I'm giving here.

• 2 months later...

Great tip! Can you give me a more detailed explanation on how to copy the channel instrument and settings to a different instrument channel?

Right now I have one instrument. If I demix it will split out into 5 tracks but each track is playing the same instrument. WhileI want the same instrument and setting I want it to be separate so I can adjust faders for each percussion sound.

Thanks!

Great tip! Can you give me a more detailed explanation on how to copy the channel instrument and settings to a different instrument channel?

Right now I have one instrument. If I demix it will split out into 5 tracks but each track is playing the same instrument. WhileI want the same instrument and setting I want it to be separate so I can adjust faders for each percussion sound.

Thanks!

Look up Multi-Channel Audio Insrtrument.

WhileI want the same instrument and setting I want it to be separate so I can adjust faders for each percussion sound.

Thanks!

I think what you are looking for is in the channel strip menu, located under the arrow next to the word "inserts" near the top of the channel strip. In there you can copy channel strips and then when you go to a new track, use the same menu to find "paste channel strip setting".

You could also accomplish this via ashermusic's suggestion, by using the EXS as a multichannel instrument, but in a way, the channel strip method is simpler, although you'll have to load the same kit up for each drum track.

WhileI want the same instrument and setting I want it to be separate so I can adjust faders for each percussion sound.

Thanks!

I think what you are looking for is in the channel strip menu, located under the arrow next to the word "inserts" near the top of the channel strip. In there you can copy channel strips and then when you go to a new track, use the same menu to find "paste channel strip setting".

You could also accomplish this via ashermusic's suggestion, by using the EXS as a multichannel instrument, but in a way, the channel strip method is simpler, although you'll have to load the same kit up for each drum track.

Camillo Jr. is correct in that his way is easier, just more cpu usage.