Help! 17" PB optical digital input issue with Logic

akaRon

Is anyone else using Logic with their 1.67 17" powerbook? I'm having no luck getting digital audio into Logic! The audio is getting into the computer itelf just fine. I can watch the meters bounce in system preferences - it even works fine in garageband 2 but not Logic Pro! I'm new to Logic, but not digital audio, and I've checked every setting I can find in the software - the clocks are synced, sample rates match etc etc.

btw. here's what happens when I open Logic after configuring the inputs. Logic even sees the digital inputs when running the Setup Assistant but then...

I get a warning box that says "The previously selected audio interface is not available. The built-in audio inputs and outputs will be used instead for this session". the program then defauts back to the analog inputs! anyone? HELP!

-thanks

David, Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am running Tiger 10.4.1.

I've selected Digital input in system preferences. At the level all is well. I'm getting digital audio just fine into the computer. The wierd part it that it works in Garage Band 2- that is to say GB2 sees the digital signal?? I've also already rumaged through audio/midi setup and, yes, Built in Audio 2 is active - as are the associated settings for it. Oddly, it states that output audio is not supported when Built in Audio 2 is selected. However, the digital outs on the computer do indeed work just fine from any other program so I assume that this is referring to the fixed output level at the optical outs but what do I know ;-) this one's got me really baffled :?

Any other suggestions?

btw.. here's how I'm sending signal to the powerbook - the input chain is an outboard preamp(analog) feeding a tc electronics finalizer >> SPDIF optical out (via toslink to mini 1/8" cables) into and out of the PB. really straight forward connection - sample rates and bit depth match and I've tried the TC as master clock as well as the Powerbook as Master. I'm stumped because it works fine with other programs.

thanks Again

I'm not sure why Logic doesn't see your optical out. Since you are in Tiger you can try this workaround:

• In Audio MIDI Setup, go to Audio>Open Aggregate Device Editor.

• Click + (to Add an aggregate device).

• Make sure both checkboxes for Built-in Audio and for Built-in Audio 2 are checked.

• Click done.

Select that new aggregate device from Logic's Audio>Audio Hardware and Drivers and try to change the input in Logic until you find your digital input.