Assign MIDI controllers

David Nahmani

Logic's MIDI monitor shows data coming in, but nothing happens.

That means the assignment wasn't properly learned: once an assignment is learned and you close the learn window, that particular knob should not show any activity in the MIDI monitor anymore, since it is now hijacked at Logic's input to control whatever it was assigned to.

Try learning it again, and if you keep having problems trash ~/Library/Preferences/Logic/com.apple.logic.pro.cs (NOTE the .cs, as in control surface).

Hey, great thread :)

I have one question which is possibly out of the ordinary. I'm using the M-Audio Triggerfinger to Automate Logic via quick assignment settings.

Now what I would really like to do is assign four of the pads to control the tape delay length (whole note - pad 1, half note - pad 2, quarter note - pad 3, sixteenth note - pad 4), like actually hitting one of the pads would switch that button on.

Now the problem is that the states of the buttons are along the lines of being from 0 - 1 for all four, so hitting 0.25 switches on half note, etc. So that assigning a pad to the buttons means I can only control the length with how hard I hit the pad (velocity), which all seems a bit pointless to me... I just want it to register the hit and then switch the button.

Does anypne have any pointers on how to achieve the wanted result? I believe you could try doing the same thing but just using a typical keyboard with 4 of the keys assigned to notes.

I just can't seem to get it right... some times it almost works, but only switches one way (I can only go in direction from whole -> sixteenth and not the other way around)

• 5 months later...

I've been able to assign any knobs/dials/faders/etc on my Axiom 25 - HOWEVER :wink:

when I actually twist the knobs on my controller, the assigned parameter in Logic is hyper sensitive: i.e. a small twist on my controller = a huge parameter change in logic.

How can I decrease the sensitivity?

also, the only functions I can't seem to program on the controller are the transports. ???

• 2 weeks later...
i simply cannot get this to work... i've tried everything mentioned in this thread. i am able to assign a knob to any parameter and logic recognizes both the parameter as well as says, 'learned'. when i turn the knob, no midi activity is displayed in the monitor and NOTHING HAPPENS. it's really frustrating... any other suggestions to get this to work???

this applies to ALL plugins... even logic's. also, i can get all of my plugs to work via track automation using automation quick access with any pot or fader from my controller. this is not a good solution though as i want to map my controller via zones and modes to give faders to some things and pots to others... not to mention be able to simultaneously control multiple parameters.

I know exactly what you are talking abou, and struggled for years with logic in this manner. I do my arragments live, like the dub + detroit guys did when they invented the s#!+. Ableton is great for this, Logic... not so much. don't use Modes, they are too buggy. Really, I swear. make one zone, with one mode, in expert view. It is flaky, but will work. I set my s#!+ up all the time this way, having the filter from a synth on one knob, dry/wet from delay on another, etc...good luck, and PLEASE PLEASE write to Apple about this, as I have, and the response was that it will be revised one day, but they work according to customer priority, and most people don't use control surface this way. Please help me make it top priority, Logic is almost perfect for , if we could just fix this.

thanks morerecords... sounds like you know my pain. i've basically resigned myself to being stuck with automation quick access and having to do one pass for each thing i want to control. pain in the arse. does anyone know if this has been updated in logic 8? that could be one good reason to upgrade since i haven't yet.

They rediesgned the ports for more stabilty, but the interface is the same. I HIGHLY recommend L8 though as it is much less flaky.

What I wound up doing is setting up 6 instruments's volume on one controller template CC#1-46. I skip 3 knobs for each instrument, leaving those free and availbe for later assignments, when I decide WHAT to assign. But I am always gonna use the volume when I am arranging. Basically, try to hardwire as much as you can, skipping knobs in a logical manner, which will be assigned later as needed.I saved it as a template, and always use the same first 6 instruments, an ultrabeat a few exs, etc...As I am writing my song,

Then a secondary controller patch with all the sends. What's cool is that even after you assign them, you can then get rid of all your sends, and they will still be wired later when you are actually working and open a send. And Logic just sees send "knob" #1, not specifiaclly bus or aux 1. This means I can open up the first send, and it might be routed to bus 50, but it's still gonna work.

yes. I skip every few knobs and leave them open for this purpose, and it starts to make se4nse once you set it up. Each song folder has a different set of corresponding cs prefs, and I have a cs prefs" template" on my desktop which contains the basic designations, using volume as the desired "marker" parameter

• 2 weeks later...
I've been able to assign any knobs/dials/faders/etc on my Axiom 25 - HOWEVER :wink:

when I actually twist the knobs on my controller, the assigned parameter in Logic is hyper sensitive: i.e. a small twist on my controller = a huge parameter change in logic.

How can I decrease the sensitivity?

also, the only functions I can't seem to program on the controller are the transports. ???

anyone have any ideas on this?

Please? :wink:

hi, this is really helpful. at first it wasnt working for me, however the reason seemed to be that it wouldnt work whilst the command L window was open ( and although it looks like a floating window, it isnt )

but now its all working fine, assigning things left right and center, except....

i cant record the data?! which is really annoying, because i can play along with the track and whatnot, but i cant actually record the infomation onto it and play back what ive done

i dont know if anyone else has experianced this, would be really really helpful though!!

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
As for connecting the Ozonic to MIDI instead of thru FireWire.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't do that (wouldn't want to) since it's being used as my Audio Interface as well. If I could afford to buy a MOTU PCI-424 to use my 2408 w/ the G5, I would much rather use IT! The Ozonic is an inferior Audio interface (doesn't even have balanced Ins).

I meant to try it as a troubleshooting method. That way you bypass the drivers... if you have a free MIDI Port on one of your interfaces, try it.

Automationn Quick Access: it works fine with other devices, but not with the Nord?

Maybe the Nord LOcal is off? so it might be the case that the pots dont send midi data?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

David,

It has been a while since I have been to the site due to travel, but I wanted t say 'thank you' for solutions and patience that you have when dealing with Logic and the great user base out there. Is there anyway to be taught and get certified anywhere in the Maryland area? I know this is probably a super novice question, but I would like to have the best knowledge about Logic so that I can share it with others while improving MY sound.

It has been a while since I have been to the site due to travel, but I wanted t say 'thank you' for solutions and patience that you have when dealing with Logic and the great user base out there. Is there anyway to be taught and get certified anywhere in the Maryland area? I know this is probably a super novice question, but I would like to have the best knowledge about Logic so that I can share it with others while improving MY sound.

Well thanks! I honestly wouldn't know anything about Maryland. We only give Logic classes in Los Angeles, but... they're worth the trip! (we've had students from the East Coast, Canada, Mexico, Hawaii... and even... Iceland!!)

Hey everybody, long time reader, first time poster :)

Currently using...Logic 8 pro, PBG4, Motu Ultralite, Behringer Nano controller.

Ive read this thread and like many of you its helped immensely but im still having an issue.

For my live set up i am using Logic like a rack of effect units.I have four tracks, with insert plugins, 1.delay, 2.reverb, 3.distortion, 4.modulation

Im using the Nano to control things like, feedback on the delay, reverb time, modulation bypass. And that works fine. BUT only for one track, when that track is selected.

So when i have my delay track selected, the other knob i have assigned to do reverb time cant seem to access the reverb plugin on the other track.

I have each track set to a different midi channel, and each knob on the controller set to the corresponding midi channel...but no dice so far, i can only alter parameters on the track that is selected...

Im happy to be proved stupid and told the really simple answer... :)

Cheers.

Craig

m happy to be proved stupid and told the really simple answer... :)

And even happier when i find the answer myself!

In Expert View, the Control Assignments Parameter, Class = Channel Strip AND Channel Strip =' Audio' and the number of the audio track you wish to control.

Previously in Channel Strip id had 'Selected Track'. I just had to look through the menus some more and think about what i was reading!

Ive still got some weird stuff going on, but now i can do 90% of what i wanted with my simple controller live.

Now if only i could find a similar small simple controller built by someone else...

cheers

Craig

to anyone who can help

first of all, i'm GLAD i found this thread, im integrating most of the effect plugins to my Axiom 49. I have ONE problem though. How do I get my controller to change modes directly? Ive been reading EVERYWHERE and i cant find a thing lol

thanks to anyone who can help

This has been a great thread...

I'm still stuck however, trying to assign the transport controls (play, record, stop, etc) to my keyboard controller.

I can assign other parameters without an issue, but the "learning mode" doesn't seem to respond to the transport controls.

Help? Thanks!