Assign MIDI controllers

David Nahmani

Mod wheel is a MIDI CC (It's CC#1) so it works the same. Pitch wheels sends pitchblend data which is different. You could assign it the same way but it may react differently, so I would probably not use it for the same kind of stuff since its "zero" position is in the middle and you can go up or down from there (unlike any other CC where the zero is the minimum and you can only go up from there).

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

I was hoping that this post would also include ideas, suggestions, tips on various approaches of how to map out things. Like for instance how would I remember what I assign things to? What is a logical layout for that? It seems this tip would get me into more frustration without some additional tips or best practices/suggestions.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, I'm using an Oxygen61 controller.

I've done a few times the steps for the assignations commands and it worked perfectly, but now the keyboard (piano keys) don't do anything.

I've closed the assignation window. I've restarted Logic and the Oxygen61 and it had no effect.

I just discovered that if I disable all surface controllers (in the menu "Logic Pro X / Control surfaces") I can play the piano part, but then don't work any know, fader or navigation key.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

It sounds like you've assigned your keys to control surface functions? Maybe you kept the control surfaces window open in learn mode and started playing your keys? It's hard to tell. I would go into the control surfaces assignments window and look for any assignments corresponding to note on events.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

I opened the control surfaces assignments window and there is no key or know assigned. I don't really know how to double check this list, but it seems that is empty and the piano keys still not working.

Can I erase the controller and reinstall or erase a concrete file for this meaning?

Thanks for your time.

I opened the controller assignments window and there is no key or know assigned. I don't really know how to double check this list, but it seems that is empty and the piano keys still not working.

When all else fails, quit Logic and trash the control surface preference file:

Macintosh HD/Users/your username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

If you don't see your user's Library folder, it means its hidden. To access it, go into the Finder "Go" and hold down the Option key.

J.

I found the folder, but there is no file such as "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" or similar. I've searched for it in the whole HD and I didn't get lucky with it.

The file has to be there. Make sure you sort alphabetically and of course make sure you're looking in the correct folder.

J.

Yeah, the file was really there... u_u'

Deleted and everything works like before trying to assign anything. I hope that this time it will works fine and it will not crash again.

Thank you for your time, Jordi.

• 1 year later...
Hi David, followed everything you said here as I was trying to find an easy way to control a parameter on a logic plug in it worked brilliantly.  Now I'm stuck.  After I successfully accomplished assigning a midi knob to a parameter on logic pro x's pedal effects, I have now lost all midi input into logic from the same controller.  I followed your exact instructions but can't seem to find (internet or google) how to resolve this issue.  Basically I'm stuck with no midi going into Logic any more after using Command-L to learn knob assignment on the same midi controller.  How to I go back to the way it was?  Thank you.

Hi David, followed everything you said here as I was trying to find an easy way to control a parameter on a logic plug in it worked brilliantly.  Now I'm stuck.  After I successfully accomplished assigning a midi knob to a parameter on logic pro x's pedal effects, I have now lost all midi input into logic from the same controller.  I followed your exact instructions but can't seem to find (internet or google) how to resolve this issue.  Basically I'm stuck with no midi going into Logic any more after using Command-L to learn knob assignment on the same midi controller.  How to I go back to the way it was?  Thank you.

It sounds like you may have assigned your keyboard's keys to something... so that they no longer actually trigger the instrument. To test that, choose Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces. If your sound is back, then open Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments and hunt for the note assignments and delete them. 

• 2 months later...
Hi again David.  Thanks for responding.  So I followed your instructions and you're right about the midi controller finally working when I "bypass all control surfaces".  So I followed your instructions again and got the "Controller Assignments" window open, but there's nothing there.  It just says "no assignment selected", with no options to select any note assignments.  Any ideas?  Thanks again for your help.

• 2 months later...

hi i plan to buy a behringer BCR2000

http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Desktop-Controllers/BCR2000/p/P0245

I would like to assign knobs on 2 to 3 different insert FX on the same track.

each of them would have their own knobs on the BC-control

i would also like ,during mixing, to be able to control one track's insert FX

but being able to control the insert FX of another un-selected track

is this Possible ?

• 3 months later...
I would like to assign knobs on 2 to 3 different insert FX on the same track.

each of them would have their own knobs on the BC-control

i would also like ,during mixing, to be able to control one track's insert FX

but being able to control the insert FX of another un-selected track

is this Possible ?

Yes, all of this is possible.

Hey David!

I've got the midi controller assignment all set up, the only problem i'm having is that when i turn the knob on my midi controller the parameter jumps from 0%-100% with no in-between. Any idea what's going on here? I'm sure it's just some silly setting under "controller surfaces" that I messed with by accident, but a lot of the jargon is a foreign language to me :P

Thanks man!

yup, same issue :(

I got the parameter mapping and the external assignment working just fine, but when I turn the knob it jumps straight from -5000hz to 5000hz on the frequency knob.

I'm using an iphone app called "knob lab" if you're familiar with it, but again I wasn't having this problem the first hour or so of using it. I checked the settings on the app itself, but there's nothing there that would mess things up. That's why I think I accidentally clicked on something weird, but I couldn't say for sure.

All the same, I still learned something today! You are appreciated sir.

What you should do is click the arrow to the bottom right of the LCD display in Logic's control bar and choose Custom to access the MIDI input monitor (that says "no in" when there's no MIDI data coming into Logic). Now on your controller, take a knob that hasn't been assigned to anything yet and turn it. What kind of MIDI data do you see in Logic's MIDI input monitor?

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I used the midi monitor in the control bar to check an unassigned knob, and it is indeed gradually going from 1 to 127.

But as soon as I assign it, it starts jumping again... what a nightmare!

The app itself is very basic, there aren't many settings. However I can see that the Left Value is set to 0 and the Right value IS set to 127

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have the same issue with assigning midi controllers.

I use Axiom Pro 61 and have been doing some research about that on the internet.

It seems that the hypercontroll link is not compatible with logic pro x

I followed your description from the main post but the problem is that nothing happens when I am in learn mode and turn on the knobs.

Also in the control assignment setup I see the axiom pro 61 but under the Device, its no device and I cant choose midi in or out.

Otherwise the midi is working with the keyboard.

Kind regards

Mira

Hey guys I have this Problem in Logic pro X. I'm trying to record a patch in Logic and Assign Faders and knobs to my Nektar Impact Lx61 but the problem is whenever I assign controller, the key note C#3 in my keyboard is not working, not producing any sound, but when I check the bypass all control surfaces it turns all to normal. But ofcourse I want to Control and assign faders but it does affect that specific one note in my key. And I noticed guys that It kinda assigned into something because when I press that note in my key, the fader in Stereo out is mov'n mov'n. Pls Help guys!! Asap

MacBook Pro

• 2 years later...

Hey, David – I’m using the same controller as you in the video, an Axiom Pro 61.

I’ve done a bunch of great assignment setup on it... but now it crashes quite often [EDIT: Testing indicates that next track/previous track crashes it. I'm now investigating whether feedback from Logic could be the culprit, though it is set to "None" for both of these commands.]

(this might sound like a question I should be asking the manufacturer, but just bear with me for a moment…)

It stops sending anything out (including notes) and I have to turn it off and back on. And often when I restart it, sometimes it switches to sending out over USB A instead of over the hypercontrol port. So I’m curious: what settings were/are you using on yours? Are you doing hypercontrol port or normal USB A? Do you have it listed in the Setup window, or not?

I'm wondering if not only should I set Hypercontrol to Transport Only mode but bypass that entirely by using the traditional MIDI port rather than USB. Eeesh....

Thanks for any info you can provide, assuming you’re still using this keyboard.