Logic Pro 9 and how to use Roland XV-5080/JV-1080-Sounds

Ramon77

Hi !

I found this Forum and i hope to get some help here...

My girlfriend asked me to look for some new Hard- and Software for her little Home-Studio.

So far she was using the following Equipment:

Audio Logic 5.5.1 on WINXP-Machine

Emagic MT-4 as MIDI Interface,

Emagic Audiowerk8 PCI as Audio-Interface,

Fatar SL1100 Masterkeyboard,

Roland XV-5080 and JV-1080 Rack-Synthesizer with several Expansion Boards

Behringer Condenser Microphone B-2 (x2),

and a Behringer MX1604 Mixer.

The Windows-Platform for Logic is death,

so I proposed the following setup:

Mac Pro

Logic Studio 9

Apogee Duet or Ensemble

re-use the MT-4 Midiinterface

Now the Question:

Is it possible to do everything from recording, arranging and mixing to mastering

completely in the logic environment ?

My Problem is that i dont know how to get the sound of the Racksynths back into the mac in realtime without latency problems.

is it possible to get the instruments of the Roland Expansion Boards as Software-Instruments (e.g. EXS,) or copy them digitally somehow to the mac?

All Songs she has written are based on the Roland-Sounds and it would be difficult to re-arrange everything with different instruments from the Logic Library.

I hope somebody can help and the Questions are not too stupid (I´m not a musician, just the hardware-guy)

Thanx for reading...

is it possible to get the instruments of the Roland Expansion Boards as Software-Instruments (e.g. EXS,) or copy them digitally somehow to the mac?

Hello Ramon 77,

Simply put there is no way to do what you are asking unless you want to spend way too much time and energy at it.

I use a XV-3080 and love the sound it produces. I find no need to stay within the digital domain, I prefer an analog mix anyway. Some think that digital is a fad, analog is where our ears exist anyway. People that tell you that everything needs to be in the digital realm have bought into a lie.

I simply run midi from logic and control the XV, then bring it back to the mix. At the moment I am just using the DAW for my mixes and I dearly miss the analog sound in my music and plan on getting back to the old setup with my firestudio sending analog outputs from logic and the mix stays on the console.

Anyway, I know people like simplicity, thats what is so appealing about mixing in the DAW. Things start getting really, really expensive to get a world class analog sound. I would suggest spending your money as you see fit.

You may want to wait on the Mac Pro till Logic becomes 64bit and can handle more than 4GB of ram access.

Have you considered the other option? You could always just get a Mac Mini and use it with a duet while you wait for the technology to develop into a Mac Pro capable environment?

Then again, I always approach this on a musicians budget, spend your money very, very carefully. You may need it in another area soon.

Is it possible to do everything from recording, arranging and mixing to mastering

completely in the logic environment ?

If you have the corresponding skills required to do all of those tasks, then yes.

My Problem is that i dont know how to get the sound of the Racksynths back into the mac in realtime without latency problems.

If you have a good quality interface this will not be an issue. After you have it all set up, post back here for some help in fine tuning this.

is it possible to get the instruments of the Roland Expansion Boards as Software-Instruments (e.g. EXS,)

No.

or copy them digitally somehow to the mac?

Easiest just to load in your MIDI and record the synths outputs in Logic.

All Songs she has written are based on the Roland-Sounds and it would be difficult to re-arrange everything with different instruments from the Logic Library.

Understandable.

Since you're looking at a Mac Pro, consider PCIe interfaces as well. The RME line is excellent, Apogee Symphony, etc.

Thank You both , onewave and fader8 for your Input.

I think we will get a decent Firewire -Interface, let the Rack-Synths be midi-controlled by Logic via MT-4 and loop back the analog audio output of the Rack-Synths into the Firewire-Interface, so they can be recorded in Logic for mixing and finally getting a song to put on a CD. I hope i got this right so far. ( Recording the Audio Output of the Rack-Synth in Realtime while controlling them by MIDI at the same time.)

My Problem in the past: How to get the final stereo output of the analog Behringer-Mixer (made of all 8 analog Audio-Tracks from Logic via Audiowerk8 and the analog outputs of the 2 Rack_Synths as well as an extra Microphone...) back into the Computer to record the final product at last on Harddrive.

I´m quite surprised to hear that Logic 9 is not able tio use more than 4gig of RAM.

I have seen Advertisements of incredible Mac Pro Setups with lots of RAM by Apogee or other Companies with either Firewire or PCIe interfaces. I got the Impression that Logic would run best with a lot of CPU-Cores and as much RAM as you can get. Seems that this is not True ?

However, thank you again for your time and your thoughts.

Additional Suggestions or Hints on the existing Hardware and how to combine them with new Hardware to get a working system would be greatly appreciated.

My Problem in the past: How to get the final stereo output of the analog Behringer-Mixer (made of all 8 analog Audio-Tracks from Logic via Audiowerk8 and the analog outputs of the 2 Rack_Synths as well as an extra Microphone...) back into the Computer to record the final product at last on Harddrive.

I´m quite surprised to hear that Logic 9 is not able tio use more than 4gig of RAM.

I have seen Advertisements of incredible Mac Pro Setups with lots of RAM by Apogee or other Companies with either Firewire or PCIe interfaces. I got the Impression that Logic would run best with a lot of CPU-Cores and as much RAM as you can get. Seems that this is not True ?

However, thank you again for your time and your thoughts.

Additional Suggestions or Hints on the existing Hardware and how to combine them with new Hardware to get a working system would be greatly appreciated.

Your welcome Ramon77,

So are you running Audiowerk8 with an older version of Logic Pro on a PC? I don't know about your setup.

Seems to me you should simplify the setup and only run one DAW, that is, if I read you right?

Ideally I would want only one DAW. Find a way to get your audio files loaded into your new Logic computer and simplify that process.

I would be running your audio into Logic via your new interface. You will need at least eight inputs. Your microphone, your XV-5080 and JV-1080, everything so Logic can handle it.

About the 4G limit with ram:

You see all the hype about 64 bit and memory limitations with Logic. It is only because all 32bit operations are limited to 4Gigs of ram (per application, such as Garageband, Logic Pro, Final cut studio) right now. This means that there are yet big hurdles for software developers to jump over before we have the ability to use large amounts of ram. If you plan to run many aplications at once, then more than 4gigs comes in handy.

Logic has not jumped the 64bit hurdle yet. It could be anyones guess as to when that may happen.

Don't let that limit you. There are wonderful tools in logic to get around this.

Use track freeze, this will take your processor intensive tasks away from the computer and free it to work at the next task while the frozen track will be read like an audio file.

Use Bounce in place to make it permanent.

There are many new tricks you can learn if have the ability to see them. A mac pro with eight cores may be a nice fit for you. YMMV, I would be fine with four.

Best of wishes to you on your journey,

Bret

4 gig is arguably more than you'll ever need running audio tracks and plug-ins, unless you're loading up lots of samples. In which case EXS, and now 3rd party samplers like Kontakt, access memory outside the application.

Thanx again to you both,

i thenk we will go for a amall C2D, affordable mac and an apogee duet.

That should do for the moment.

BTW, has anyone experience with the MT-4 Midi-Interface made by Emagic (the firm that developed Logic) ? I managed to connect it to my old mac mini just to see is it works but in the midi-setup of leopard there are only 4 "Ports" to configure, not 2 in and 4 out sockets as on the device. is there a special driver or a seperate setup program required ? I do not see the 2 rack synths in the midi environment...

Thanx

Archived