Appropriate Frequency Range For Instruments Query

I'd have to agree with this. Being jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none, rarely gets anyone a gig or the best quality result. Yes, it's important to be "well-rounded" as it's important to be conversant, but if you keep trying to be fabulous at everything, there will always be someone else who can run circles around you on some skill, and you would have been better off hiring them in the first place.

i understand that. it is definitely stressful wearing all hats, but from my experience you can only rely on yourself to get anything done. i agree with you completely, but it's not really an option for me to do otherwise. i think ill have much more satisfaction going d.i.y,

and i'm not aspiring to be the greatest producer/engineer/mixer, just trying to get fairly good, so the "musical" side has the best chance to get through.

I think you're still jumping ahead a bit. The questions you're asking about instrumentation, frequencies, etc., are essential elements of composition, orchestration and arranging. Not really production. For electronic music, add synthesis/sound design and MIDI programming to those. Focusing your efforts on these will do a lot more for your music than immersing yourself in the world of post-production, mixing and mastering right now. Quite frankly, if you get the song, instrumentation and arranging right, the song will mix itself.

Any one of the skills mentioned here is complicated enough and commonly have whole careers devoted to them. The risk of choking is just too high when you bite off more than you can chew.

(Yikes, there's way too many metaphors in this post!)

i feel it's a circular thing where everything feeds each other.

Dont the vast majority of electronic artists handle all these aspects themselves?

Of course when they press cds they'd get "professionals" to polish everything up,

but just getting their material ready to play live, they'd don all hats and take care of as much as they can?

Right, good, but . . . from what you've said here, it sounds like you need more help with "music" tech and not necessarily "production/engineering/mixing etc.", tech. With that said, there's a fairly recent thread here that you should read:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=44385

And while it's primarily about orchestration, the OP's situation is similar to yours and much of the same wisdom applies.

Thanks for the link.

thats true about my need for "music tech", as i said earlier, it's just to get things sounding right for live performance, not the final cd product or anything.

thanks for all the help.

I've seen and heard so many, imho tragic, cases where a really good composer or musician gets stuck in the technology rut, worrying that they can't get anything done unless they either know exactly how everything works in the studio, or if they have the right instruments.

Back in the mid eighties we knew this son of a composer, he was musically really good, but could not make any kind of music unless he got the latest PPG Wave, latest Prophet, latest Roland Jupiter. So we used to borrow his stuff from time to time and have a great time writing music while he was agonizing in his studio, looking for the next toy to solve his non-creative rut.

The best sessions I used to have with a singer/friend, he sang, I had a Jupiter-6, a Roland TR-808 and an old Fostex 4-track, we just blasted in song after song into that recorder while sitting on the floor and drinking beer. And then later did the official recordings in studio for us and other bands/artists.

Yeah i know what you mean by getting dragged under by technology,

every magazine pretty much prescribes what "you definitely should buy",

i've gone through a big lesson in this in the past two years.

Then instead of thinking in terms of musical ideas and carrying those out by what ever means necessary, you think in technical terms then apply music ideas to that, which of course isn't the right way to go about it.

I love simplicity. There's too many things that clutter up your brain.

Even simple things like having a clean room to work in, helps,

and it even extends to having limited instruments and junk added on.

Then what's inside your computer is another whole other level.

My bottom line is though, if i'm having fun and feel like i'm learning and moving forward then i'm on the right track. If not, i try to reassess the situation, and change it.

I"ll jump in here to say, "send me some mixing tips!". Lots of great links and advice in this thread already, but for me personally mixing is my weakspot. It takes way longer to get something I find acceptable than it should, which is to say a very very long time. I make rock (with some electronics, as everyone else seems to be doing as well), if that helps :D

I don't think you'll get people answering that question in detail as it's an infinite string.

I'm thinking of getting a book on it, as i requested for earlier in this thread for something credible. I've found so far that the computer music, future music magazines are helpful on and off, especially if the whole issue is dedicated to one particular area of expertise.

A few macprovideos were good for getting started with logic.

i think the key for asking questions on these forums, are for specific troubleshooting.

i think the key for asking questions on these forums, are for specific troubleshooting.

Then you should spend some time reading these forums. Between the general production questions that regularly get asked on the Control Room forum, the amazing environments that get posted in the Templates forum, the crafted effects in the Plug-In & Channel Strip Settings forum, the Tips & Tricks and the interactive Mixing Workshop forums, I'd say these forums go way beyond just being a troubleshooting resource.

Add to that David Nahmani's direct support here for the Apple Pro Training Series books for Logic, which do include production and mixing btw, and the multitude of other authors of books, videos and online docs who contribute here. I have to say I wish a resource like this was around when I was starting out with this stuff. But we didn't even have computers then!

The bottom line is that there is no book, video, forum, article, etc., that will hold your hand and walk you through the immense complexities of taking a song idea and turning it into a finished mix, particularly in a specific genre. Even those of us who have toiled through music school, have had multiple mentors and worked in the business for years, are still learning new things every week.

I think the artist projects that ship with Logic 8 or 9 are good eye openers concerning how Logic is used and set up for various mixing purposes. It's worth opening those up and checking out each channel setting.

The rest is just clocking time in studio with Logic:

100+ hours = you get some nice familiarity to work with music productions

1000+ hours = you are confident in what you are doing

10000+ hours = a studio wizard.

Approach this whole as a big game, results manifest in a) weeks, b) a year c) 10+ years.