What impact does multiple devices on 1 FW bus have?

So I ran over my old MBP (long story) and had to buy a new one. I picked up one of the newer models, but it only has 1 firewire 800 port on it. I've got two external hard drives (both FW 800) and my Apogee Ensemble uses FW 400 for the interface. I've been thinking about picking up a Firewire 800 hub, or just daisy chaining my devices. One hard drive has samples, and one has the audio files.

How much is having to be on one bus gonna hurt my performance and should I just move my samples back to the internal drive so I only have to daisy chain one device?

In most practical circumstances you will be fine. Unless you're pushing several hard drives to their limits while also daisy-chaining multiple high resolution audio interfaces, you won't have to worry about the speed limitations of FW800 (or even 400 for that matter).

Sometimes I daisy chain four drives and a small audio interface on FW400. If there are going to be problems, they'll show up. Until then I wouldn't concern myself about it.