Hard drive on its way out

Hello my hard drive seems to be making some squealing noises when i try to save to it. Its my second hard drive that i keep my logic tracks and samples on to run them from there. I took it out of my power pc G5 before i upgraded so it probably is a little old. I looked on the net and it said it may be on it last legs. Iv backed up my data and am going to get a new hard drive is there any specific thing i need to be looking for for running logic off speed ect i know this is 7200rpm? I dont know a lot about them only sizes my current is a 250GB (the one that is failing) Is there any problems with getting a big hard drive like 500gb or 1tb? Is buffer size an issue?

thanks

Hi,

I know nothing about 10000rpm drives, but 7200 is usually fine.

Yes, buffer memory is a factor. I mostly use Samsung spinpoint f1 S-ATA drives, and just get a 1 terabyte one, which has a 32mb buffer. Theyre cheap!

Another factor to consider is the bridge chip in the external box. I would get one with Oxford 924 chip, I use these:

http://www.macpower.com.tw/products/hdd3/pleiades/pd_scombo

They also make a RAID type box, but I was advised to avoid these, due to the fan design ie the constant whirring noise.

If you have clients, keep them away from the drives, actually dont let them touch anything!

EDIT From reading your sig, I guess you are gonna put it in your mac pro, I think that has a SATA bus.

cheers, Nigel Mk II

• 2 weeks later...

Bump anybody had any problems with new maxtor or western digital Hd's or which would be better for use with logic im really not sure what to get. What is everybody else using? Iv got a western digital running my system at the minute but the failing HD is a maxtor :? but is probably older.

thanks

thanks for the replys is the only thing i need to know that it is a sata/ serial-ata 7200rpm and 32mb cache i went to my local pc world today they told me that the drives were not compatible between pc/mac but a friend of mine just bought a normal sata drive for his G5 tower and it worked fine? Also Seems if i pay little more i can get two new 500gb HD's off ebay for the price of one in the shops. £70 in the shops around £85 for two HD's on ebay.

thanks Jamie