Can't figure out accurate frame rate

muses

This is driving me crazy.

I set my frame rate to 23.976fps in my Logic project. I did this because QT showed a frame rate of 23.98fps and that was the closest thing in Logic. The time code numbers do not agree. Argh!

Ok, so I try to set any other frame rate in the Logic project to see if the numbers agree and NOTHING. Not a single one of the settings gets the Logic timecode to agree with the burnt-in timecode of the movie. I've attached a screenshot of the 23.976 discrepancy at an advanced time in the movie.

I have the FCP project, so I can output whatever I want. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix all this?

1325266418_Picture1.png.4b81584b36c91235eda09d5b90a51645.png

I have the FCP project, so I can output whatever I want. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix all this?

Hey muses,

Sounds like the FCP sequence was one thing and then burned to QT as another. Since you have the FCP project, open it and check the sequence settings. That should be more telling than what it may have been burned to in QT.

Thanks, fader8, I'll check that again, although I'm fairly certain that the sequence also showed 23.976.

Regardless, isn't it strange that no matter what I set Logic's fps to, the numbers do not match? There's a bigger piece of the puzzle I'm totally missing here. Any ideas?

I'll get the FCP project out to double-check and report back.

Ok, I think I figured it out! Phew!

In case this happens to anyone in future, here's what happened.

In FCP, the only way to burn timecode into your sequence is to create a nested sequence and apply the Video Filter called Timecode Generator.

I had assumed that it would just apply the sequence's fps, however, this is not true: it defaults to 29.97dfps.

In FCP, simply select your nested sequence, click on the Filers tab in your viewer and change the fps to the correct one.

... and Robert's your mother's brother. Thanks again, f8, for getting back to me so quickly.

23.976 and 23.98 are the same frame rate although a frame rate of 23.98 doesn't actualyl exist. The actual number should be 23.976, but sometimes people round up and call it 23.98.

If QT says that the movie is 23.98, then it's 23.976.

Chances are that the timecode burn on your picture is wrong. Hey, it happens. I notice that there's a semicolon separating the seconds and frames. This is an indication of a drop frame rate and, in my experience, is usually only assocated with 29.97 df timecode, not 23.976.

Do a test --- scroll through the movie and find a timecode location such as 01:00:00:00. Does that timecode value appear? If not -- in other words, if you can only find 01:00:00:02 but not 01:00:00:00 -- then you're looking at a 29.97 df timecode burn.

Post back with your results.

Archived