Environment. New Software Instrument glitch

jrm14

What you can do is create one object, then hold Option and move it to the desired layer. Now newly created objects of the same type (audio vs soft inst etc...) will go to that same desired layer.

But of course it depends which version of Logic everybody is using....

That is what I do....I just wondered if there was something wrong with my software, but it seems to be a designed characteristic.

Yes, it's designed that way. It's putting your new instrument adjacent to the previously numbered instrument.

So if you're in Layer 12, and you create a Software Instrument 16, it appears in, oh, layer 9, because Software Instrument FIFTEEN is on Layer 9. So SI's 15 and 16 buddy up together on Layer 9, and you have cut and paste SI 16 back to your Layer 12, the same layer where you tried to create it in the first place.

It's an unwelcome default. When I noted this at Sonik, I was told to appreciate its simplicity of use.

Because creating a software instrument and seeing it appear in your current layer is so complicated....

Because of this default, I had to re-arrange my 240 instrument Environment so that the software instruments were numbered and contiguous. And now if I create a new instrument, at least I know 241 will appear in my very last layer, next to 240.

It's been a while since I sussed that one through, but if I recall correctly, Automatic Management of Channels Strips did not apply.