Notes stick and others don't trigger

jrm14

I'm getting weird MIDI behaviour running Virus TI in Logic. It's hooked up via USB. Some notes hold, as if the sustain pedal is on, and other notes don't trigger at all. It's a different region or set of notes every time and I have checked the polarity of the sustain pedal and looked down to see if my foot is stuck to the thing, but no...

Anyone any ideas?

As simple as it sounds I have experienced similar problems with different systems and it's usually a bad midi cable or connection. Try a different cable and check connections.

ml

That was my first thought, but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Virus TI has no MIDI cables connected - just USB. And the problem happens with software instruments which again have no MIDI cables. Just to be clear, this happens not just at the recording of MIDI but also the playback of the MIDI regions.

As simple as it sounds I have experienced similar problems with different systems and it's usually a bad midi cable or connection. Try a different cable and check connections.

ml

That was my first thought, but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Virus TI has no MIDI cables connected - just USB. And the problem happens with software instruments which again have no MIDI cables. Just to be clear, this happens not just at the recording of MIDI but also the playback of the MIDI regions.

Is the Virus plugged in through a USB hub? That could make a difference. Several years ago I had all kinds of errors running MIDI devices on a USB 2.0 hub. Oddly enough, the problems went away when I swapped it out for an older USB 1.1 hub.

Also, are you using USB hard drives, a USB audio interface, or other high-bandwidth USB devices? That could contribute to a problem like this.

...And fer cryin' out loud, if you haven't already, test it with a different cable. Doesn't matter that it's not exactly a MIDI cable.

It's hard to say for certain but from your description it sounds as though not all the midi data is getting through. The missing note off commands will cause some notes to hang.

Check that your Virus driver is up to date (if applicable). Also, try a different USB cable.

Turn on the CapsLock keyboard and see if every note is recording properly.

If the CapsLock keyboard works ok see if you can borrow another controller to see if that works.

Have you changed / upgraded / replaced anything before this problem presented?

How long have you been using the Virus? Was it working ok one day then giving problems the next or has it been giving trouble from the start?

Do you have the Virus set up correctly in the AMS?

Sorry for the basic questions but some things need to be clarified to help us to arrive at a solution.

Alan

Thanks everyone for your input. Before I answer the questions raised I should add that the problem of notes not triggering, other notes hanging and even some notes playing back after Logic has stopped is not confined to the Virus.

I'm getting the same problem with Vienna Symphonic Library patches when used in software instruments.

With VSL there are no MIDI cables at all. Except the one used to send MIDI data from my mother keyboard I suppose. I have no idea, but perhaps bad data could be sent along a bad cable.

So I depowered my mother keyboard and opened a song which had VSL regions in the Arrange. Just to make sure, I created these regions using the pencil tool to make the notes. No MIDI data was input from outside the Mac. I then hit play and at random the same problem persisted.

I've checked all the Preferences and Settings, chase events etc. Maybe I'm missing something...

It's hard to say for certain but from your description it sounds as though not all the midi data is getting through. The missing note off commands will cause some notes to hang.

Check that your Virus driver is up to date (if applicable). Also, try a different USB cable.

The driver is the latest release. I'll try a different USB cable but even if that helped the Virus, what about the VSL and other software instruments (see my previous post)?

Turn on the CapsLock keyboard and see if every note is recording properly.

I don't know what the CapsLock keyboard is. I'll look in the manual.

If the CapsLock keyboard works ok see if you can borrow another controller to see if that works.

Have you changed / upgraded / replaced anything before this problem presented?

I have bought the Virus TI.

How long have you been using the Virus? Was it working ok one day then giving problems the next or has it been giving trouble from the start?

I've been working with the Virus only since a week or two ago. I think it was working (as regards the present problem).

Do you have the Virus set up correctly in the AMS?

What is the AMS please?

Sorry for the basic questions but some things need to be clarified to help us to arrive at a solution.

That's quite OK!

I am having the same problem and have ruled out most things. I am triggering gigastudio 4 on a PC from Logic 9.01and have a midi interface and midi over lan hooked up. Both behave identically. I have had this problem with Logic 8 too. I get hanging notes here and there, and some ghost notes. It happens ONLY when there is a lot of midi data happening at once. Is there some setting in Logic to allow more midi data to pass.

This could be Gigastudio 4's fault, however.

I'm away from the gear at the moment so can't check, but could having the caps lock on contribute to weird MIDI behaviour even though the pref isn't enabled?

If the preference isn't enabled then the CapsLock key will just work like a standard CapsLock key. I asked you to try using the CapsLock key as a diagnostic aid. If the CapsLock keyboard works we can look outside Logic for the problem e.g. keyboard, cables, interface, drivers, etc. So let us know how you get on with the CapsLock keyboard.

(See how many times I can fit CapsLock into a paragraph).

Alan.

Caps Lock tool works sometimes. Pencil tool can draw events, but they play back inconsistently - they don't trigger every time or they stick (as per the symptoms I described originally).

Given that this problem happens to Virus TI, VSL patches and Massive, surely it can't be a cable issue.

• 8 months later...

I have a Virus TI and POLAR with a Yamaha sustain pedal. When plugged in, it seems to work in reverse. To change the polarity, unplug the pedal, power off your Virus, plug the sustain pedal in and power the Virus back on. Polarity reversed.

:D