multi out with plugins?

akbeatz

just got omnisphere, and it has multi outputs, so i was wondering how i would go about routing specific channels from the plugin to seperate midi tracks within logic...ive been trying to figure it out on my own, but cant seem to get it...plz help??

The way I like to do it (might seem like a lot of steps but it's pretty simple)...

Once you've created your software instrument track and loaded up your instrument (let's say, Omnisphere), go to the Environment.

In the Environment, go to the Mixer page, and find the channel that represents your Omnisphere instance.

Click on "New" in the toolbar for the Environment window and select "Multi-Instrument." Drag the newly creative Multi-Inst somewhere near the Omnisphere channel strip. Rename it to something appropriate (you have to do this from the sidebar).

There are two little triangles at the top right of the Multi-Inst -- click on the top right one, and then drag (you'll see a "cable") to the upper right of the Omnisphere strip (right next to the left of the "Setting" button). Logic should snap the cable to the right spot when you drag over the channel anyway.

This Multi-Instrument should be looked upon as a representation of the MIDI channels that are connected to your Omnisphere. You'll notice that all the numbers (channels) are X-ed out -- just click on them acviate them.

Now, back in the Arrange window. Create a bunch of External MIDI tracks -- however many you want to connect to your Omnisphere. Select one of these new External MIDI tracks.

Click on the "Media" tab (at the top right), and select "Library." You'll see in the list the new Multi-Instrument you just created in the environment. Click on that Multi, and you'll see a list of the channels that you just activated. Click on one of the channels to assign that channel to the External MIDI track.

Now, in Omnisphere, when you select the 2nd layer, it will be controlled by the External MIDI track assigned to Channel 2.

If you plan on using Omnisphere pretty regularly, it'd be a good idea to have the Multi-Instrument and Aux tracks all set up in a template. If you're worried about wasting memory when not using an Omnisphere in your project, set up all the aux tracks and channels, and then REMOVE the Omnisphere from its Software Instrument track, then save that as a template. All the Multi and Aux info will still be saved, then recalled when you re-open an Omnisphere on that same track.

Fuzz/Christian -- you're totally right in that the method you listed is WAY faster and basically creates the same result. At first.

However, the way Logic creates multi-timbral instruments doesn't account for automation. Like, if you automate the volume on any of the multi-timbral tracks created by that method, then it automates the volume for the *whole instrument* and not just the individual channel. This isn't a big issue for things like Stylus where you're probably not doing a lot of dynamic shaping, but if you load individual string instruments into the Kontakt channels and want to have different dynamics in each section, then it becomes an issue. I don't know why the multi-timbral tracks are programmed this way in Logic -- isn't very practical.

Oddly enough, the External MIDI track method doesn't run into this problem.

alright, i was able to do the more detailed step by creating the external instrument tracks and routing the external midi within environment, and it seems to do the trick...but with the external midi tracks theres no way that i can use the logic plugins (eq,comp,delay...) or is there?

-thanks

Don't mix up Multi-timbral (being able to receive on different MIDI channels for (possibly) different patches) with Multi-Output (being able to route the resulting audio of (not necessarily) different patches to separate audio channels)

Multi-Output is a selectable option when instantiating your Virtual Instrument. Read p214 of the online manual, it's explained there.

Christian

Oddly enough, the External MIDI track method doesn't run into this problem.

I can't replicate this here. Driving Omnisphere with CC7 on two diffrent MIDI Channels results in both streams fighting for the channel fader, visibly and audibly. Using either method gives the same result here, while automating the Part Levels themselves works a treat.

Christian

Using either method gives the same result here..

Confirmed. Basically there is no way to control individual MIDI channels of a multi-timbral software instrument with CC7 because Logic doesn't pass CC7 (and CC10) to the plugin.

Archived