i am new to logic and switching from protools

angel418

i am new to logic and switching from protools, and i cant figure out how to do a few things in logic that i know how to do in pro tools. btw i am on logic 8

1. how can i consoledate or glue 2 different parts together. that way when i drag or copy and paste it happens to both audio or midi parts?

2. is there a way to copy and paste or duplicate midi notes in the piano roll section?

thats all for now thanks

select both regions that you want to consolidate/glue/merge together (select on and then hold shift and click on the other) and then get the glue tool and click on either one of the regions and it will ask you a few things, read it and change if you want but most of the time I just click ok and that should do it for you

Hi Angel418 and welcome to Logic.

I'm switching from Pro Tools myself at the moment as well, despite all the thousands of dollars spent on that platform...

Anyway, check out tutorials at Mac Pro Video:

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9101

There's a bunch of free ones but for $25 you can access all of them for a month, which is a pretty good deal. There's also videos at Groovebox or even Apple.com.

I'm finding the logic official documentation pretty useful as well.

Good luck!

i am new to logic and switching from protools, and i cant figure out how to do a few things in logic that i know how to do in pro tools. btw i am on logic 8

1. how can i consoledate or glue 2 different parts together. that way when i drag or copy and paste it happens to both audio or midi parts?

2. is there a way to copy and paste or duplicate midi notes in the piano roll section?

thats all for now thanks

#2-Check out Copy MIDI Events in the manual.

Same here, not leaving Pro Tools LE per se but want to move primarily to Logic. There are a couple of reasons.

- Performance. I got to a point where I cannot bounce my session on my Core 2 Duo iMac. Even setting buffer to maximum does not help. In comparison, I loaded up 'Spaceman' from Logic demo disc and the CPU load was never over 50%. Pro Tools is very old code and needs a major rewrite on the engine side.

- Functionality. No offline bounce, no track freeze, no delay compensation

- Price. Logic's bundle is pretty impressive and the included effects sound pretty good. With PT you need to pay extra if you want surround, pay extra if you want to bounce to mp3, pay extra if you want more tracks, pay extra to make PT work on Leopard.

- I use DAWs for making my own music and I find Logic's channel strip presets an excellent solution for getting a good sound without losing the creative spark setting things up.

- Maybe it's just me but I find it's easier/faster to get a good mix out of Logic

I've spent a lot of money on hardware and software, spent money on getting certification but I just started getting annoyed by Digi's approach.

There a lot of known bugs and features that should have been included a long time ago but instead of taking care of them, they focus on releasing new products, because that's where the money is at.

I don't know Logic that well, as I'm still learning but so far I am really impressed with it.