reverse audio

croaky

I want to copy a piece of audio at the end of a song and put it at the front of the song but in reverse, keeping the end bit the same...can I do this without reversing the end part that I copied?

( Hope that makes sense! )

Every time I've tried it, it affects the bit I copied, at the end of the song.

croaky

macbook pro, logic 9, duet, snow leopard

YOu need to create a new file first, then do the reverse. I use ALT+CMD+F, then hit Enter real quick when it prompts you for the name. Make sure you select the new region again, as the old region will still the active one in the sample editor. Kind of annoying, definitely my main complaint about Logic, but you get used to it and the key commands make it a little more tolerable.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to start a thread asking about the reverse function--what if I'm just doing an 8 bar guitar solo that I only want to reverse (that is, I don't care about preserving it in the 'right' direction)? I have selected the region in the sample editor, I see the wav form in the Sample Editor, I hit 'reverse' and I see the wav form (in the sample editor) change, but when I go to play the track I still hear it in the forward direction.

And like all new functions I try to tackle, once in a while it works and I have no idea what I did differently from the other 45 times I tried!

Thanks,

Doug

"The main idea is that you are listening to a different take than the one you processed."

Well, yes. That is the problem. Can you think of a solution? I'm definitely listening to the take I *thought* I had processed, not an earlier one. It's just not the processed version.

Thanks,

Doug

I have no idea how many takes you did, if they reside inside a Takes Folder or on separate tracks, I don't know if you have selected the Region to process from the Audio Bin or from the Arrangement, I actually have not a single clue.

All I think I know is that you're hearing and processing two different things. To find out which is which is your task for today.

Christian

"All I think I know is that you're hearing and processing two different things. To find out which is which is your task for today. "

I don't think my post was that obscure, but in answer to this final question, I already know.

To summarize:

I have recorded one take of an 8 bar guitar solo.

I have opened the Sample Editor window. I believe I am looking at the region with the guitar solo, as there is nothing else recorded on this track for the entire song.

I selected 'reverse' from the function menu. I saw the wave form change in the sample editor.

When I went to play the track, though, it was not reversed at all.

If you have any ideas about what I am missing, please say so.

Thanks,

Doug

I'm just bumping this because it's something I'd really like to learn and get past--this 8 measure guitar solo is the only thing standing between the song and a final mix, and I'm sure there is someone out there reversing audio successfully who can diagnose my problem.

It is just an isolated region--8 measures on a track with no other audio information.

I'm selecting the region;

I'm opening the Sample Editor;

I'm selecting the region again in Sample Editor;

I'm choosing "reverse'" from the Function pull down;

I see the wav form change in the Sample Editor;

I hit 'play' and still hear the audio non-reversed.

I figure there must be some kind of finalizing stage that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Doug

Whoa! My screen doesn't look anything like that, Shiver. First off, you have two tracks, one that says 'recorded' and the other that says 'bip,', right? How did you create the second one? Even when reversing audio has worked for me, it didn't look like that.

In Logic 9, a track can be bounced in place. That was a quick way for me to get an audio track.

Using the audio track, I did the same thing that can be done in Logic 8 for reversing the audio.

Select the track, reverse the audio. I have never had a problem with it in either version of Logic.

Thanks, Shivers--

So you're saying that bouncing the track in place was just a way for you to get a demonstration track to show me, not a necessary step on my end, right?

Ok, I will be getting to my 'puter setup soon and will post a screen shot. Thanks everyone for your patience and continued efforts to help.

Doug

I'm selecting the region;

I'm opening the Sample Editor;

I'm selecting the region again in Sample Editor;

I'm choosing "reverse'" from the Function pull down;

I see the wav form change in the Sample Editor;

I hit 'play' and still hear the audio non-reversed.

why are you doing the bolded step, its uneeded?

1) Select audio region

2) open sample editor

3) function > reverse

4) move play head in arrange window to front of your region (so you're not just playing whats in the sample editor) and hit play. worked?

"why are you doing the bolded step, its uneeded?"

And that is the $60,000 question! It seemed like it wasn't selected, so I was selecting it--which was probably unselecting it, thus defeating my goal of reversing it. Once I stopped doing that, it works fine. THANK YOU!

I'm not sure why the piece I reverse doesn't line up in a more predictable manner--it seems as if I select a region that starts on, say, 10:00 and runs for 20 seconds, but when I reverse it the piece starts about 9:45 after the fact. Is there some setting to anchor it in place? My only real reference point is using an old Porta Studio and turning the tape over while recording a solo--it always started at the right point after the flip.

Any ideas? Is what i'm asking clear?

Thanks,

Doug

• 3 weeks later...