Monitoring external synth questions

socialnumb

The way I usually do this is: I set up a midi instrument in logic (in this case LP9) and a audio track under it. I arm both tracks (record button) and listen/monitor to what I'm doing, say from my Nord lead 3.

What I want to do is "record" the midi output of the keyboard (NL3) without recording the incoming audio as well, giving me time to tweek to my hearts content till I'm happy with the results, then finally record the incoming audio. Make sense? I hope so. :wink:

In this case I'm using a Apogee Duet, LP9, AMT8 and a Nord lead 3.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your time,

Jorge

You sir, are a god among men!

I laughed so hard after I tried it. :lol:

My oh my was that easy. I had no clue it was there. Somehow over looked it.

I've been doing it the hard way for ever!

Was this in LP8 or prior? That would really spice my taco. :lol:

Thank you soooo much,

Jorge

A problem is that pan (CC10) and volume (CC7) are not passed to your external MIDI instrument, as they are hijacked by Logic's Mixer Channel Strip's pan and volume fader. This is problem if you are using multiple sounds in your external synth and returning them to the same audio input - not really a problem if you're only using one sound.

If you want to continue using Logics External MIDI instruments, do what you were doing, but instead of monitoring by enabling record on your audio track, press the "I" to enable Input Monitoring. When you're ready to commit the part to audio, select the audio track and press record (and don't forget to disable Input Monitoring on playback).

Alternatively, if you could monitor your synth through an Input or Aux Channel Strip, but if you want to commit to audio eventually, then monitoring through an audio track may be more elegant.

Tom

A problem is that pan (CC10) and volume (CC7) are not passed to your external MIDI instrument, as they are hijacked by Logic's Mixer Channel Strip's pan and volume fader. This is problem if you are using multiple sounds in your external synth and returning them to the same audio input - not really a problem if you're only using one sound.

If you create an external MIDI track with the same MIDI destination, and create cc7 or 10 there, (and your program changes too as they show up by name in this case) it will reach the synth. Those cc's will not effect the instrument channel strips volume and pan settings, so no need to worry there.

Of course, if you have enough audio input pairs available on your interface, you would probably rarely need to do this. But if you're running a multi-timbral synth that only has a stereo out, or you have all your synths fed into a mixer because your interface only has a stereo input pair, then creating the additional external MIDI tracks is the price you pay for your hardware limitations.

The benefit of hosting the audio on the External Instrument plug is that realtime bounces will include that external audio. FYI, here's Apple's article on the External Instrument plug:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3330

If you create an external MIDI track with the same MIDI destination, and create cc7 or 10 there, (and your program changes too as they show up by name in this case) it will reach the synth. Those cc's will not effect the instrument channel strips volume and pan settings, so no need to worry there.

True, but is there any net gain here as, either way, you still end up with two tracks to control the one synth?

Of course, if you have enough audio input pairs available on your interface, you would probably rarely need to do this. But if you're running a multi-timbral synth that only has a stereo out, or you have all your synths fed into a mixer because your interface only has a stereo input pair, then creating the additional external MIDI tracks is the price you pay for your hardware limitations.

That sounds like a potentially expensive work-around for Logic's limitation handling volume and pan for Software Instrument Channel Strips. :) (But that issue has been already flogged to death elsewhere - it is what it is, so no need to open up that can of worms again!)

But if working on, say, a large orchestral arrangement, it's very easy to chew through a lot of stereo inputs, just to have independent control of CC7 and CC10 for each part of a multi-timbral synth. Until there's an alternative method of dealing with these CCs, the External Instrument won't be of any benefit to my workflow.

The benefit of hosting the audio on the External Instrument plug is that realtime bounces will include that external audio.

This is also true of using a MIDI Instrument with an Input, Aux or Audio track for monitoring. If, on the other hand, Bounce in Place were ever to work in realtime, that could be a big incentive for using using the External Instrument.

Tom

Just wanted to mention another limitation of the External instrument. For external MIDI tracks there is a preference 'Send After Loading Project Used instrument MIDI settings'. So for example, corresponding program changes are sent automatically to the external device. But this doesn't work with the External instrument. Instead you need to put program change events on the tracks and start the sequencer to actually send them.

But if working on, say, a large orchestral arrangement, it's very easy to chew through a lot of stereo inputs, just to have independent control of CC7 and CC10 for each part of a multi-timbral synth. Until there's an alternative method of dealing with these CCs, the External Instrument won't be of any benefit to my workflow.

I've just realised a workaround for this. To summarise:

1. Convert incoming CC7 and CC10 to something else (e.g. Channel Pressure), before it hits the Sequencer Input.

2. Create a Monitor, check the Icon box in the Inpector (I've named it Ext Strings). Choose this as the MIDI Destination in the External Instrument.

3. Cable the Monitor to a Transformer to convert C-Press back to CC data, and cable the Transformer to the MIDI instument (Str Ch1 in the image below).

This allows independent control of CC7 and CC10 for you external MIDI. It works with either a single or Multi Instrument, however, with a Multi, the faders in the Mixer don't move.

Currently I'm going to stick to not using the External Instrument, for other workflow reasons, but when Bounce In Place Works in real time, I will explore this option further.

Tom

902140973_ExternalInstWorkAround.jpg.4bb901c3e41b6cb2794bfddbefa7f861.jpg