Performing Live with Logic and Ableton

bigkeys

Whilst I'm getting alot better with my humble techno productions using Logic, Im now starting to get concerned about how I can make an interesting live set using Logic and Ableton.

I get the basics of both Logic and Ableton but Im unsure how to pair them up so I can make performing my logic productions interesting.

To be short, what I want to be able to do for example, is use Ableton to cue a synth line created in logic and then when performing live, be able to mess with the sound whether it be altering filters or envelopes etc... I want to be able to mess with the logic synth whilst performing live etc.... but still using Ableton to cue everything.

Am I limited to rewiring Logic into Ableton and only being able to use Ableton features for altering sound? or can I still access the Logic synth's filters / envelopes etc when its rewired??

Anyone got experience using Ableton / logic in a live performance scenario?

Any help would be great...

hi!

i think the best thing u could do is actually starting Live first, set up everything there (scenes etc..) then start up Logic and set up your synths, instrument tracks etc..

a midi controller can now work on both programs at the same so just start assigning.

Due to stability issues, I would never do this. Just use Live for your lives.

Maybe Mainstage is good too, but I would need to test it more

the last thing you want is to crash in the middle of a set and watch the dance floor clear

trust me, go for stability over tricks

Thanks for your responses guys.

I think you might be right daleks - for stability its probably best to just use LIVE for livesets. My logic does have a tendancy to crash every now and then... which wouldn't be nice in the middle of a set...

I just wanted to have more control over sound....

If I were to upgrade from Ableton Live to the Ableton Suite, am I able to use the Ableton synths / samplers / drum machines in a live scenario? will they sit behind the session view somewhere so I can call them out to mess with filters, envelopes etc... whilst playing live?

Or could this cause instability too?? and am I best to just stick to launching audio clips and effecting them etc??

despite my fear of becoming "theee reason" why u left the dancefloor stopping to a full halt, i don't think Logic will crash working as a softsynth carrier ONLY.

maybe a LIve/Mainstage solution might be safer....

As far as i know, Logic never crash or get one of those infamous "core audio overload" halts unless you're running tracks/audio regions or MIDI regions through the SPL IN Logic.

BUT, if i were u - i'd rather take daleks' word over mine :oops:

...since i've never actually tried combining them through a full gig

I've got Logic Studio but have never used Mainstage. I'll take a look. Im thinking that Ableton is going to the easiest and most stable method for live performance though...

I've JUST got a good handle on Logic and now I realise that in order to do what I want to do with sound, I've basically gotta buy Ableton Suite and start from scratch all over again!

I hear Ableton is user friendly though and alot of knowledge I've gained will crossover from one to the other no doubt...

Looks as if Logic is best kept for productions.

what wip says is probably right.. if you ONLY used it for synths then your probably ok, but in that case, I'd just use Mainstage, as the audio engine is the same, but again test the frack out of it, meaning play your full live set several times in the configuration you intend to use to make sure you dont have any problems. if it crashes or stops once, make some changes

about Live, yeah your can run a bunch of synths and effects while playing back tracks, as long as you have enough RAM and CPU, but again test it several times. there are also 3rd party plugins you can use, and freeware synths to supplement your arsenal, if you dont like the built in Live synths.

in my Live sets, I run several synths and effects in real time: a virus TI, Stylus RMX, 2 CS-V80s, 1 albino, 1 vanguard, high pass eqs on all of them, and a ton of bus and master effects although not all at the same time. despite some problems (cause was hardware related) now I can run the system rock solid for a 2 hour live, and thats with 6-12 audio tracks, and some creative loops. But I didnt have as good of luck with Logic. Its great for production, but not meant for rock-solid stability in a do or die situation.

alternately, I would never try finishing a track with Live, although I know alot of people who do...

Edited by daleks

I want to be able to mess with the logic synth whilst performing live etc.....

I've basically gotta buy Ableton Suite and start from scratch all over again!

Which Logic synth were you intending to control during a live show? You may find that the included synths in Ableton Suite are not up to the task if you're used to using some of Logic's more advanced plug-ins.. What may work best is if you purchase one or more 3rd party AU instrument plug-ins. Then you could load them in Logic for your production work as well as Live for your "live" work. Best of both worlds.

I hear Ableton is user friendly though and alot of knowledge I've gained will crossover from one to the other no doubt...

With ANY workstation app, it's user friendliness is proportional to your knowledge of its workings. In many respects Live has its limitations, but that simplicity is part of what makes it good for live use.

I have been experimenting with the combination of Logic and Live. For me, the reason to pair them is to take advantage of Logic's linear sequencing capability, together with the real-time interaction of Live. Of course, Logic also has superior effects and plug-ins, as well as surround panning, which is essential to my work in the theater. Currently, I have am using Jack OSX to send audio from Live to Logic and IAC to send sync from Logic to Live. You need to start Live first, otherwise it goes into Rewire mode, which is basically useless if you want to take advantage of Live's tempo capabilities. It seems stable to me so far, but I am still experimenting. I'm curious if anyone else has pursued this idea.