Controlling External instruments via Program change w/Logic

sosmooth2k

Hello. I am wondering if someone could step me through the proceedure surrounding me sending program changes from Logic, and to a keyboard. The interface and the keyboard are installed, and Logic, as well as my computer is aware of the interface within the midi chain. I have visited the Global functions, and the Event areas. It seems that these are some areas I would need to go to so that the programing of the patch numbers and the programing events can take place.

I am at a loss as to what is required as far as the particular info, and how to connect the dots. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance, Rick

Howdy Rick

I am learning about similar things, and have come across some information that might be useful.

Go into your Environment, and choose the 'Midi Instr' layer. Choose New-> Instrument. On the left hand side (the Inspector), you can set up the program channel and also the program number.

You can do this for multiple channels / programs as well.

Hope this helps get you going in the right direction.

-J

ps. this video on youtube from SFLogicNinja is pretty helpful

Hello. I am wondering if someone could step me through the proceedure surrounding me sending program changes from Logic, and to a keyboard. The interface and the keyboard are installed (...)

Which version of Logic? Which keyboard? Which interface? ....

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Read Me Before Posting - Forum Guidelines (#5)

Thanks nogginj for your answer to my post. It was very helpful.

Hello David. Sorry for not posting the gear that I use. Here is a listing of my gear. I attempted to add it to my signature, but when I reviewed this post it apparently was not saved. Not really sure how to do this.

Macbook Pro - 2.33 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor - 4Gb667 Mhz DDR2 SDram 500 Gig HD / 7200 RPM

G5 Powermac - Dual 2.8 Ghz Processor - 4 Gb Ram - 2x500 Gig HD's Simple Midi to USB Interface Mackie Onyx 1202 Mixer w/ Firewire Interface

Alesis Q/1/8 Keyboard - Korg Studio 49 Controller - M-Audio 49 and 61 key Controllers.

In an earlier answer to my post by nogginj, I did find 3/4's of an answer to my original post. Thanks The part I am still missing is how I force events via program change in Logic. I specifically want the patches on my external module, in this case an Alesis keyboard to change as per my programming. If you could help me with this it would be very helpful.

Thank you Rick

Rick

Maybe not the best, but this is one way:

From the track you are controlling...

Over on the right hand side click 'lists'.

Select the 'Event' tab.

click the 'Progr. Change' button.

It will insert a program change event. You can then specify the time and the program change command to send.

-J