Logic Pro and Allen & Heath ZED R16 - issues...

Hi everyone, my first post on this forum..

right,

I am using Logic Pro together with the Allen&Heath ZED-R16 firewire mixing desk. The issue i have is that it seems that i cannot route the signal from Logic through the mixer BACK into Logic. I was used to do that using Cubase, but Logic does not give me the option. Or is there? I could overlook things, as i am a Logic pro starter.

Another issue i have is the fact i cannot seem to record the main outs from the desk into Logic...

I have also send an email to A&H about this but i also wanted to drop there questions in here, as i hope some users here know the answer?

reg.

R

Hi everyone, my first post on this forum..

right,

I am using Logic Pro together with the Allen&Heath ZED-R16 firewire mixing desk. The issue i have is that it seems that i cannot route the signal from Logic through the mixer BACK into Logic. I was used to do that using Cubase, but Logic does not give me the option. Or is there? I could overlook things, as i am a Logic pro starter.

Another issue i have is the fact i cannot seem to record the main outs from the desk into Logic...

I have also send an email to A&H about this but i also wanted to drop there questions in here, as i hope some users here know the answer?

reg.

R

I can't help you myself, but have you checked out these Zed-R16 resources?

www.gearslutz.com/board/new-product-ale ... mixer.html

www.zedr16.thebeatunion.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

I'm thinking of buying a Zed-R16 so I would be interested in hearing your experiences. How stable is the Firewire connection? What is the latency like?

Hi Tankfield, thanks for your pointers!

I am happy with the ZEDR16, it sounds very good and the analog eq is realy nice to have. The FW connection is basically flawless, no probs there..

I was used in Cubase to have pluginns on the master channel (the mains on the mixer) like compressors etc. It seems Logic does not support that. I find that surprising?

Faber8,

Indeed i want to route the signal through the mixer and back in the computer. I know it can do it because i used to do that in Cubase.

What i do is set the I/O button in Logic to the out and ins of the same channel strip. The point is, i want to record the result of that stuff in a logical way...

Then route the outputs of all the tracks to an unused bus. On the aux return that appears in your Logic mixer, insert the I/O plugin. Configure the plug for the inputs and outputs you want to use for the effect loop. Set that aux's output to the channels you're using to monitor. I'll assume you know how to set up the loop in your mixer/interface as you say you've done it before in Cubase.

@Fader8

Ok, i see what you mean. I think what happens in my case is that i use(d) my mixer always in a send/return fashion, so i can send the signal to the computer and back (for fx plugs etc). My idea was i think to have a wav in Logic and send it to the mixdesk and back into Logic (because the analog eq of the desk is nice). I think i made a thinking error, i see now that i need extra tracks in Logic to record the incoming singal from the desk? Or?

My idea was i think to have a wav in Logic and send it to the mixdesk and back into Logic (because the analog eq of the desk is nice).

The way I described it above will achieve this. It's up to you to figure out how to make it happen in your mixer. I haven't a clue how that one handles audio to and from the DAW.

I think i made a thinking error, i see now that i need extra tracks in Logic to record the incoming singal from the desk? Or?

That's another way to do it, amongst several. Logic will fully support what you want to do. You just need to work out the hardware part.

It is possible to cancel the inboard converters, so only use the board with external apogee's converters ?

Also, can i use the mix on tracking with my external outboard pres for an optional colors ?

Fingers crosses to have fader automation on Zed R-24 !!

I asked the guys from Allen&Heath (very friendly and fast reply btw) and they gave me a template for the ZED. It works like a charm now!

@Tankerfield & Fader8

I do not even seem to need these IO plugs. When i hit the Record Enable button on the track in Logic, i can choose on my desk with one switch button, between the dry signal on my desk and the wet signal coming back from Logic (with fx plugs etc). This is precisely what i wanted to do.

By the way, the main outputs from the ZED are simply channel17/18 in Logic... :roll:

@moya

The pres and a/d etc are not selectable, maybe internally but i doubt it actually. That part is pretty much hands-off. You can use the desk as inline mixer.

Thanks everyone for the help, R

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

hi guys

im using firewire to connect my new Zed r16 to logic, I would like to know how to send a track from logic to the zed's EQs then record the result back to logic?

which buttons i need pressed on the mixer?

and what are the input output settings on logic i need to configure?

could someone please explain this in steps ..... pretty please!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi there all,

I just bought an A&H ZED R16 and I connected it to my Imac with Logic9. I downloaded the software that I had to download from the A&H website. Connected it with a firewire cable. And...... nothing is working. Then I downloaded the template for Logig8 on the A&H website and here.... yes.... the transport part (FF-stop-play-RW) is working. But the rest... nada!!

Is there somebody who can help me out???

ED

• 1 year later...

Hey, I just got the Zed r16, and I use Logic pro 9 too, and I can't assign the basic controls on the mixer to work with Logic 9 (play, stop, ff, rec...). Logic 9 just won't learn mapping from those buttons. It recognizes them, because I can see something going on in there.

Also, I'm kind of confused with all the routing settings per channel in Logic 9. The first thing I did was giving each channel its own input and output.. (ch1-in1-out1mono).. so I can get signal from zed to record, and back to zed afterwards in order to give each channel EQ. Then I realized I wouldn't be able to PAN any of the tracks in logic, because they're all mono. So, I created sends for each channel into a stereo AUX.. and it kinda solved something, but I'm sure this is not the way of setting Logic pro 9 with zed r 16.. I still get the mono outs AND the stereo mix.. and I'd like to be able to give each channel EQ and PAN after recording, and then creating a mixdown in stereo.. I'm missing something really basic, maybe..

So, please help! Does anyone have a project Template for logic pro 9 and zed r16? I want to get the best out of it. It's got really nice preamps and features..

Thanks a lot!

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Logic templates for the ZED R-16 are available here....

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=ZEDSeries&SubCatId=&ProductId=ZEDR16

If you want to use the EQs on the mixer you need to make sure all of the outputs in Logic are set to 1, 2, ,3 (Ascending) etc.

This way, the Logic tracks will be coming back in to the desk on corresponding channels. Then all you need to do is select 'DIG RET pre INS' for each channel as well as slelcting the L+R bus for each channel. If you want to use the faders on the desk to mix in Logic just select the FADER=MIDI button for each channel on the desk anduse the MIDI learn function in logic to assign each fader.

Here is a tutorial..

If you want to record your mix back in to Logic now that you've applied the desk's EQ and any other external FX, create a stereo track in Logic and assign inputs 17+18. Now arm the track and you should see signal coming back in to that track.

Alternatively you can just have the main outputs of Logic coming back on to the master faders (not on to corresponding channels). This is done by routing all of the outputs in Logic to a bus, setting the outputs of that bus to 17 + 18, then in the master section on the desk select the 'DIGITAL MASTER TO L+R' Button.

Hope this all makes sense, to be honest I'm starting to feel slightly confused my self and I was pretty sure I had a good grasp on it before I started writing this!

• 6 years later...

Hi Fellow Logic (and hopefully some ZED R16) people. I've been using a ZED R16 for a little while now, and for the most part I'm very happy with how it sounds and the flexibility it offers.

I do have one issue that I can't seem to figure out, so I'm hoping you or other users can point me in the right direction. Some people mention being able to have "zero latency" with this desk and my thought was that I'd be able to get there with this desk as well. I'm not entirely sure if the latency issue I'm having is due to the standard buffer size adjustments, etc. OR if I'm not utilizing the ZED properly and monitoring as I should be when doing overdubs.

For example, I record a drum track, then go to record guitar or piano over it. I play the drums back from the DAW but hear latency on either my current incoming signal, or possibly both that and the existing track.

I BELIEVE for overdubs, I should be disabling the "DIG MASTER" button for my headphones so I can hear the track I'm recording from the mixer before it goes to the DAW and back. However, I need to hear the existing tracks from the DAW on my headphones to play over them.

Can any of you tell me your workflow for this? I'm sure there's a simple solution as this desk is made for home recording, but I cannot seem to get the hang of this part of it.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for anyone who takes a minute to help me out here.