additional internal HD or external single enclosure dual HD

about to get a 15" MBP with FW 800 and express card slot. trying to decide what would be abetter choice adding an additional internal HD (MCE OptiBay Hard Drive) or external FW 800 single enclosure dual HD (CalDigit VR mini). One drive would be used to stream samples, the other would be used to write or record sessions to. also wondering if upgrading the stock 5400 internal HD to a 7200 would make a performance difference?

about to get a 15" MBP with FW 800 and express card slot. trying to decide what would be abetter choice adding an additional internal HD (MCE OptiBay Hard Drive) or external FW 800 single enclosure dual HD (CalDigit VR mini). One drive would be used to stream samples, the other would be used to write or record sessions to. also wondering if upgrading the stock 5400 internal HD to a 7200 would make a performance difference?

I have a similar set up (my sig) I changed out the HD for a Momentus 500GB 7200rpm, the computer seems a bit faster, but I did the change at the same time I upped to SL, so I can't say if the drive is all that much faster or the new OS probably a bit of both. No troubles with it, so far 8) The computer does run much hotter and I am using a fan utility to keep things cool and quiet when I need it.

This weekend I found a cheap express 34 card to FW800 x 2 ports, bought a dual TB drive box (so a 2 drive 2TB box), hooked it up to the mac port, put my FW-1082 controller/interface on the card since it only needs FW400, I thought about getting an e-sata card instead (I still might) as the Drive has e-sata. Your newer computer would take advantage of this extra speed offered, I believe there is a bug keeping e-sata at 50% on the late 2008 unibody MBP's. This may have been fixed with a flash update. e-sata delivers around 3.5GB/sec vs FW800 at 800MB/sec, so if it's strictly moving data the e-sata interface with express card is your fastest way I know right now. The thing I don't care for is I can't find any affordable FW800 hubs, and some of the ext, FW devices I have don't pass through I need FW800 ports more than anything hence my choice of the FW800 express card for now.

I like having my DVD burner in my MBP I often use it away from the studio/office, besides my case barely fits an A/C adapter no way I could cram even an external slim DVD-R :lol:

As I mentioned my HD upgrade makes the MBP run noticeably hotter, I imagine 2 HD's would not be good for heat dissipation and fan noise, due to that.

So to sum it up, I'd order the cheapest fast MBP you can, and bump it at macsales.com (no affiliation other than a long time customer). Up the Ram/HD, get the kit to put your old HD in a case, get a USB2 case for this HD, get expresscard for FW or for e-sata, pick up a 2TB raid box like I got at fry's $199.00 8) hook everything up and start having fun!