Getting a sub to work with a motu 828

Ive been reading up, is it something to do with crossover. As soon as i changed output 1-2 to Surround sound the sub started to work, the problem of this is the other frequency's are coming through like the snares etc...

Why is this so hard to set up?? Some of my friend have cheap monitor packages that come with a sub and they just plug it in and play?? The surround issue works in logic but if im listening to itunes the sub wont play??

Why is this so hard to set up?? Some of my friend have cheap monitor packages that come with a sub and they just plug it in and play?? The surround issue works in logic but if im listening to itunes the sub wont play??

I suppose your friends got a monitoring system with a built-in crossover. That sub you got doesn't have a built-in crossover. So I don't think you could make it work with iTunes, unless you got a hardware crossover unit, which at this point doesn't make sense (better to sell your monitors and sub and get a monitoring system that includes a crossover).

In Logic, you can make your own crossover - generally all you need is a low pass filter on the audio signal that goes to the sub.

Thanks for the replay david. So basically, im going to have issues with connecting a sub with my mackies even if the sub has a crossover?

I was thinking of selling up and changing my mackies for a 2.1 system but is there any thing out there with quality as good as my mackies? I make a lot of bass heavy music and would like a sub to enhance my production? I was also thinking apogee duet? would a 2.1 system work with this?

Hi dabster i also have a motu 828. Mine is a mk3 is yours the same? if not does yours have the software included im not sure if the older ones did. If so it is a little weird to set up personally i have tapco sw-10 sub with cross over ect i just run one pair of outs to this then direct to my monitors if you where thinking of changng subs.

But it is possible to run to two pairs of monitors (or monitor/sub) There are two programs that came with my motu the cu-mix fx and another one i think called audio setup it has a little symbol of a mircphone it should be in applications (sorry i carnt be more specific im not at my computer) You can make changes to the routing of your signals from the motu in there.

Also when i wanted to run two pairs of monitors from my motu out of logic there is a menu in logic settings that says something like mirror outputs that got both pairs of monitors working for me i guess this would work for your sub?

If you get the two outputs working correctly you can if needed put low pass or high pass filters on the on the individual outputs on the cu-mix fx software

hope this helps.