Problems Automating Moog Voyager [SOLVED]

YNWA96

I'm having problems sending automation or recording it from the Moog Voyager RME to LP.

Each parametre on the Voyager has value variables up to 255 compared to the 127/128 of most synths. When I turn a knob on the Voyager the Transport Locater Display in LP shows the correct cc number for the parametre but the values its being adjusted too just seem to skip randomly and will not adjust above 127.

When I open track automation and select the cc No of the parametre I want to automate, I notice i cannot automate above 127 variables. The automation I draw doesn't seem to affect the parametre either. When I hit record midi and make the tweaks in realtime, automation is recorded into the hyper edit but the nodes are in the wrong place and automation as a result doesn't play back properly and sometimes not at all.

I don't have a problem with my other synths so the only thing I can put it down to is the higher resolution of 255 variables and logic doesn't understand this. Do I have to create somthing in the environment? If so what and how? If anyone has a answer it would be much appreciated, short of growing six arms and hitting record audio!! I'm STUCK. It's proberly some simple configuration but my head can't get round it.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Ghz - Quad Core Intel Xeon OS 10.4.11 - 3 GB RAM - Motu midi Timepiece AV - Apogee Symphony System

Edited by YNWA96

I don't have a problem with my other synths so the only thing I can put it down to is the higher resolution of 255 variables and logic doesn't understand this. Do I have to create somthing in the environment? If so what and how?

Well, I don't have good news, but maybe some of the other MIDI gurus here can help out. The Voyager uses 14 bit messaging to control its parameters. You can create 14 bit knobs in the environment to remote control the parameters, (and I could show you how to do that) but there's no way that I know of to control those knobs from Logic's MIDI sequencer.

You can record that data and play it back to the synth, but you can't edit it in Hyperedit. Here's how to configure a fader to send the correct data. Note that the controller # for the input must match the output number. Set the filter param to 14 bit. Range: 0-16383. This forces the 14 bit messaging which is always 2 controllers. The first then the second which is always the first controller # plus 32.

Usually, you can can control a fader with any message you like, but that doesn't work for 14 bit faders!

14bit.jpg.f983e1e5cfcdb9886c1f4562cf6e0b15.jpg

OK, I've got it. This isn't perfect as it will only allow you to automate parameters in 127 steps, not 255, but it will allow the range to fully control the parameter from its min to its max.

Create a Sysex fader as shown. When the event list for the fader appears, click Create, then click Controller twice to get 2 new controller messages.

The MSB for filter cutoff is 19. Add 32 to get the LSB.

Here's the trick. The fader will control the value of the controller in this list that you've left highlighted. You could just leave cc19 highlighted and leave LSB cc51 at 0, but you would not be able to reach the max value of the parameter. So what you want to do is be sure both messages are highlighted. Then close that event editor.

If you set the input parameter of the fader to cc19, then you can sequence cc19 on a MIDI track that targets this fader object. That will control the fader which will then spit out the 14 bit message required by the Moog.

Moog14bit.jpg.1c80236c695d37b08d5d5c49efe53590.jpg