punch in, preference saving & automation?

Shenzi

Hello all

Apologies if I am being simple but there are 3 things I would like to know that would make my Logic life so much easier!

1. Using punch in on MIDI recording, is there a way to add midi data as opose to overwrite it? . For example, I have created a nice chord progression on my MIDI keyboardwould then like to add a melody over the op without deleting that chord data?

2. Is there a way to save prefrences globally for all tracks? suppose I change my metronome's tone and want to have that apply to each project I have been working on, and apply to new ones after that, is that possible?

3. Though it is easy to move automation data wth the automation select tool, is it possible to copy only the automation data so that it can be applied to another track, or duplicated further down the song?

Thank you ever so much :)

-S

Hello,

1-Go to the Recording tab in your project settings and under MIDI-Overlapping Recordings select "Merge with selected regions" from the dropdown menu. When recording the new part make sure to have the previously recorded region selected. This will merge or overdub the new part with the previous one.

2-Open an empty project, set things up the way you want and save the project as a template. (File - Save as Template).

3-One way to do it is to command click on the value slider (verticall yellow bar) right bellow the solo button (with track automation visible, of course) to select all automation on that track and copy. Select another track where you want to paste the automation and paste it. (There are at least 2 or 3 more ways to copy and paste automation to other tracks). To copy some automation to other parts of the same track select what you want to copy (either with the automation select tool or by holding down Shift and dragging to select an area) and then option drag it to wherever you want.

All this is in the manual, by the way. :wink:

Cheers,

j.

• 4 months later...

[1. Using punch in on MIDI recording, is there a way to add midi data as opose to overwrite it? . For example, I have created a nice chord progression on my MIDI keyboardwould then like to add a melody over the op without deleting that chord data?

Why not open another track for the new melody?