Recording a bass/muddy

been rec for years...my bass guitar usually sounds muddy in the mix. I have 2 basses that are ok. a japanese fender pbass and a dean. I cant afford an american fender or other at this time. recording techniques to make the bass sound fuller but less muddy?. change a pickup or any other advice...seems like the tone should be more trebely both basses?. both basses..still mud. I go direct with decent pres.. dont have a bass amp. Sometimes I compress a bit going in sometimes not... thanks

been rec for years...my bass guitar usually sounds muddy in the mix. I have 2 basses that are ok. a japanese fender pbass and a dean. I cant afford an american fender or other at this time. recording techniques to make the bass sound fuller but less muddy?. change a pickup or any other advice...seems like the tone should be more trebely both basses?. both basses..still mud. I go direct with decent pres.. dont have a bass amp. Sometimes I compress a bit going in sometimes not... thanks

Make sure the Tone knob is all the way up, reduce 125-500 Hz or so, and change your strings if you haven't recently.

Depending on your situation, you might benefit from running your bass through a direct box (di-box) to the line input of your audio interface.

I recently got myself a Radial J48 just for bass and I am very happy with it.

Previously I was running bass directly to Digi 003 but it seems to sound better now. Plus you can lift the ground to get rid of hum.

The J48 is rather expensive but there are a lot of other di-boxes out there that may work for you.