ultra beat programming

The best thing in a situation like this is to do it yourself. You will learn much and gain valuable experience that will make it easier to do next time.

1st: I'd use the EXS24, it will be easier and give you better control of the different velocity layers. Even if you use the Ultrabeat, your probably not going to be able to get the right feel and timing in the step sequencer.

2: Copy the song to an audio track. Use the bpm finding plugin and set your song tempo and verify with a click track.

3: Set a loop going of the bars you want to focus on.

4: Focus on one drum type at a time. Listen to only the kick, and play along with it. Record that. Listen some more as the two play together to make sure you're getting all the hits and no extra. I don't worry about precision in timing yet, just getting them pretty close until I have the whole picture recreated - but you may want to do it as you go.

5: Repeat for each different type of drum, cymbal, whatever. One at a time. Use EQ to help the different drums to stand out a little better.

6: Now is when I go through and get precise with timing. Using the "audio to MIDI groove template" can be useful at this point (search Youtube for sflogicninja and watch his tutorial on using this tool).

Hi I was wondering if any one could program the drum pattern in the verse to the Portishead song 'Sour Times' and take a screen shot and post it for me.

sure, and i'll give you my credit card details to pay for the final mastering if you like

as seeren already said, you have a lot to gain from learning how to do this kind of thing yourself

i also don't think you're gonna find joy with ultrabeat...in fact unless you wanna go through many stages of dirtying and resampling, you might be better offfinding a similar sounding loop (don't worry about the rhythm) and then slice the loop and import into esx24....

there are many slicing options...easier if you have logic 9, though your signature doesn't give away much info.....

anyways...really...do it yourself...and if you want someone else to do all the work for you , consider paying them

I would never consider someone labouring for me for free, so I am sorry if that is the way it came across.

I have always tracked drums live but in this situation I haven;t the opportunity to.

I thought that someone might go 'oh thats easy', programme it and post a screen shot. To me this is also a great way to 'di-sect' and learn from too.

With the ex24 are the drum samples in there already and what would be a good tutorial in using the Ex24 for a luddite like me?

Where would I search to find a similar loop?

I am very new to sampling ,programming etc butI feel as if I have open a Pandora's box, to what I thought was an innocent request from a logic pro 8 user.

Anyways any help is definiately appreciated.

VISA 4657 5677 7776 Expiry 09/13

Cheers.

I would never consider someone labouring for me for free, so I am sorry if that is the way it came across.

I have always tracked drums live but in this situation I haven;t the opportunity to.

I thought that someone might go 'oh thats easy', programme it and post a screen shot. To me this is also a great way to 'di-sect' and learn from too.

With the ex24 are the drum samples in there already and what would be a good tutorial in using the Ex24 for a luddite like me?

Where would I search to find a similar loop?

I am very new to sampling ,programming etc butI feel as if I have open a Pandora's box, to what I thought was an innocent request from a logic pro 8 user.

Anyways any help is definiately appreciated.

VISA 4657 5677 7776 Expiry 09/13

Cheers.

:D

macprovideo have good tutorials and there is one they offer on logics sampler

i would have suggested you track the drums live and then import them into the sampler and use effects and resampling to grime it up but you seem to not have that option

definitely get to grips with the pattern so that you are able to enter it /record it into logic

i don't understand what you want a screenshot of...the pattern played as is will sound far from this....

you could probably get quite close to what you need by searching loop databases via google...starting in the trip-hop sections

i will see if i can deconstruct this pattern for ya

Wow thanks el-bo for the quick reply,

I will definately be googling for this pattern and for any tutes I can find.

I so appreciate yoyr help on this and i am already learning heaps.

I have attached what I mean't by 'screenshot', however this is using ultrabeat.

Once again thank you for your time.

1571113140_Screenshot2009-11-09at8_53_57AM.png.67238e26c4673d81112cb090ece8a369.png

The thing about using the pattern like that in UB is you're restricted too much by the rigidity of the step sequencer. If you take that pattern that you posted a screen shot of, and drag it into the arrange page you can look at the notes using the piano roll.

So you can play the notes into the piano roll, and not even use the step sequencer, just turn the sequencer off.. This will allow you to capture the 'feel' of the performance. Using the step patterns of Ultrabeat will just not work in this kind of situation - it will sound too mechanical.

The advantages of the EXS24 come in when you want to start paying attention to velocity subtleties. Like having a soft hit, and hard hit (and in between hits) of the same drum. Not just playing the sample quieter or louder, but actually having different samples of drum hits that change depending on how hard you hit the key.

But for the basic 'pattern' (as a piano roll region) Ultrabeat will get you there, too - you'll just end up with less dynamic control.

here's something that captures the basic feel, though but with no high hats or whatever they are. but try this at 95 bpm to get an idea of a starting point. I have the studio brush kit loaded. If you over lap this on a looped section right before the vocals start it sounds ok. The version I referenced is kind of muddy sounding, so it's hard to tell which is what. So this is guestimation, you might try substituting another kick where I have the Snare brush 2. I don't know what to do about the high-hat type of things. Sounds like there's a clicky type of rim shot thing going on too. The high hat and rimshot might look something like the first pic (which was actually the 2nd pic I uploaded).

EDIT: pictures removed by moderator. ".tif" are not supported on the internet.

Edited by seeren

The thing about using the pattern like that in UB is you're restricted too much by the rigidity of the step sequencer. If you take that pattern that you posted a screen shot of, and drag it into the arrange page you can look at the notes using the piano roll.

So you can play the notes into the piano roll, and not even use the step sequencer, just turn the sequencer off.. This will allow you to capture the 'feel' of the performance. Using the step patterns of Ultrabeat will just not work in this kind of situation - it will sound too mechanical.

The advantages of the EXS24 come in when you want to start paying attention to velocity subtleties. Like having a soft hit, and hard hit (and in between hits) of the same drum. Not just playing the sample quieter or louder, but actually having different samples of drum hits that change depending on how hard you hit the key.

But for the basic 'pattern' (as a piano roll region) Ultrabeat will get you there, too - you'll just end up with less dynamic control.

all true...there is also the matter of ghost notes and subtle rolls (buzz rolls)

Hey thanks guys, Seeren and el-bo for taking the time to help me with this.

yeah, I completely understand the 'stiffness' of ultrabeat, and I have humanized the piano roll ,changing velocities, note placement etc which helps it a little bit but still sounds very robotic.

You say it can be done using the EX24 ?

The actual sounds are'nt exactly what I was afte,r more so the feel of it, which I can see now Im not going to get using UB.

My next step is how to programme drums with the EX24 to obtain tje 'feel' of this.

So before I get into it i just want to confirm that even using the drums already in the EX24 i will be able to obtain more of a 'feel' to it?

and is it difficult to do this?

Thanks again.

I guess they didn't my pictures:(

You CAN get the right feel (we're taking about timing here) with Ultrabeat. Just not using the step sequencer. You would enter the notes just like you were recording any other midi performance (ie in the piano roll). This allows you to play it, and the timing can be a little bit 'around' the beat. Less strict than the step sequencer, more flexable.

Notice how there are piano keys on the very left of Ultrabeat, those correspond to the keys on your controller - just make sure your in the right octave.

You can also use the audio to midi groove stuff to help get the timing, although with this song it's gonna be hard because of the way it sounds.

Again, the EXS advantage really comes in when you start messing with dynamics and more subtle aspects. (multi layered samples and a wider range of samples).

I guess they didn't my pictures:(

You CAN get the right feel (we're taking about timing here) with Ultrabeat. Just not using the step sequencer. You would enter the notes just like you were recording any other midi performance (ie in the piano roll). This allows you to play it, and the timing can be a little bit 'around' the beat. Less strict than the step sequencer, more flexable.

Notice how there are piano keys on the very left of Ultrabeat, those correspond to the keys on your controller - just make sure your in the right octave.

You can also use the audio to midi groove stuff to help get the timing, although with this song it's gonna be hard because of the way it sounds.

Again, the EXS advantage really comes in when you start messing with dynamics and more subtle aspects. (multi layered samples and a wider range of samples).

what happened to your pictures dude ??

I confused .tif with .gif before

here's a jpg of a basic UB pattern that might help you get started.

bpm =95, Ultrabeat resolution = default (1/16? I think it is). Notice how it starts with an anacrusis - so the very last step is actually the start of the next pattern, and it's basically an 8 step pattern that repeats 4 times.

sourstuff.jpg.8e7d711f826212dcdebb36228b002519.jpg

Thanks guys ,

I think I get it now.

If I want the exact portishead sounds with Ghost rolls etc, I have to have them as samples in EX24.

However, i can recreate the feel by getting the basic pattern in UB step sequencer, drag it into my arrange window and then open it in the piano roll where i can then 'humanize it' etc.

Thanks for your patience with me.

I really do appreciate it and have learnt alot.

Next step is to load the EX24 with samples.

Cheers.

Just for the record, I made the Ultrabeat pattern with the intent of demonstrating that it doesn't work very well,- but it kind of worked okay for just that kick and snare part.

I actually played it into the piano roll, recording it like a keyboard part, and then used that to map it into the UB sequencer. I think it's easier to play it by ear, and then reverse engineer it. Which is another reason to not even mess with putting it into the UB.