Are Monitor Stands Reliable Or Awkward?

Hi there again. Enjoying Logic 9.

Anyway, I'd like to get my monitors off of my desk, and I'm looking at some monitor stands. I've got two KRK Rokit 8 Gen. 2s that I think weigh like 30 pounds a piece.

Anyone ever had any major problems with monitor stands falling over or anything? I have a cat, and he's a little ram-bunk-shush with the Nighttime Crazies and all every once in a while.

Any good strong recommendations for some heavier 8" speaker stands?

Thanks.

C

Mine are filled with sand. It's common practice. The sand is in zip lock bags - just to make it easy to fill them and to remove the sand in case I need to.

i love that...ziplock bags? did u actually dump sand into them one at a time?

cool...

i made one of my artists drag 2 huge bags of sand up the stairs (my old studio was a 5th floor loft walkup), then we dumped sand in the stands (and then had to clean up the floor)...

but worth it.

u can get sand at a hardware store fyi...

i love that...ziplock bags? did u actually dump sand into them one at a time?

You know what's scary? I have absolutely ZERO memory of doing it. A year ago I moved my studio and at that point I saw the zip lock bags full of sand. How it got in there I haven't the faintest idea. I knew I had filled them with sand, I just... can't remember actually doing it.

But my guess is I bought a big bag of sand at Home Depot and filled the zip lock bags one by one in the backyard, yeah. :lol:

You know what's scary? I have absolutely ZERO memory of doing it. A year ago I moved my studio and at that point I saw the zip lock bags full of sand. How it got in there I haven't the faintest idea. I knew I had filled them with sand, I just... can't remember actually doing it.

The aliens must have done it for you in appreciation for letting them run some tests.

Wow, things are getting complicated with the ol' sand.

Suggestion #1: Go to home depot and buy a couple of bags of freekin' sand. :twisted: Then go to your local thrift shop or Walmart or something and buy some pillow cases. Fill the pillow cases with the sand and gaff tape them closed. Not elegant, but will save you the trouble of sewing them shut. Or better yet, just put the pillow cases over the bags of sand. Stick them on the feet of your speaker stands or lean them against them or something.

Suggestion #2: Do none of the above and ban the cat from the studio.

Suggestion #3: Get a dog. They don't tend to jump up on speakers.

Suggestion #4: Make your own stands out of cinder blocks (again, home depot). They don't move for nothin'. Spray paint (home depot) them with graffiti or otherwise decorate them (thrift store, Walmart) so it doesn't look like you're living in home depot.

Suggestion #5: Make a deal with home depot to build a studio in their warehouse. They wouldn't allow the cat in the store anyway unless it's a "service cat", as are seeing-eye ponies and such like.

Suggestion #6: Go back to buying speaker stands you can fill with sand. Go to home depot and buy some sand. Fill the stands with stand without the baggies. Who's going to be any the wiser whether your sand is bagged or not? ;)

All out of ideas. Going back to work now.

Oh, and I'm totally serious about some of those ideas. I'll leave it to you to decide which ones.

:shock:

The "great" thing about my studio is that it's basically just my apartment, which is above a garage, so there are no separate studio rooms. Otherwise I'd have banned my cat a long time ago. He especially loves to gnaw on Auralex MoPads. Yuuummmmmmmm.

At any rate, thanks for all the extra suggestions. Looks like I'll most likely be doing something with...

SAND.

...as in like yeah, some stands with sand-capacity.

Tanks again,

C

• 1 month later...

Hi again. Digging this one up.

I just got a nice 23" flatscreen monitor for my desk to use with my MBP, and so yeah like now I have to move my monitors off my desk so everything fits.

THUS and HENCE I was looking at monitor stands again and even like some of the more pro-er-ish ones have top panels that are only like 9" by 9". My KRK Rokit 8s are 10" by 13". Is this common for the stands to have top panels that are that big/small? Will my 8s sit on there pretty well? I found some good looking ones by ART that can be filled with sand, but the top panels are only 8" by 9".

Whatchoo say?

Thanks,

C

I have these. They have a hole in the top you fill with sand before putting the top on and come with nice rubber pads too so your monitors don't resonate the stands. Also they comes with the option of spikes or rubber feet on the bottom so they will stay put on carpet or smooth floors.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/American-Recorder-Technologies-Studio-Monitor-Speaker-Stand-Pair-102530771-i1142321.gc

I'm using Ultimate Stands and Valhalla Tech VT Feet on top. The stands are filled with fine grain sand (remember to dry it before pouring it in).

Anyone ever had any major problems with monitor stands falling over or anything?

My studio is often visited by the most powerful A&R in Denmark, who also happens to be the most clumsy man in Denmark.

When he enters the studio I always greet him with one hand on the left monitor since that stand and his body seem to be magnetic.

A few close calls but no accidents yet.