Overview Calculations don't stick on reopening project

osumosan

I'm having a problem where the overviews that have been calculated for a project keep having to be recalculated when I reopen the project. Each time a couple more of the overviews might stick, but I use a lot of audio files and opening a song can take a looong time. I've set the permissions on all the audio files to read and write for me AND the system, but I can't think of anything else that might help.

Any ideas? Solutions? Confirmed behavior?

Thanks.

Michael

How are you saving the project? Including assets? All audio files in the project folder's audio folder?

Yes and Yes

What hard drive are you using to save your projects to, and was it formatted to Mac OS X Extended?

This happens on both an external firewire that is extended and my internal drive which is extended and journaled.

I´m experiencing the same problem, Even after doing a fresh install of Snow Leopard. In my case the graphics are not saved with the project until it has been reopened (then the calculation starts) and then saved again. After that they stick but for all new recordings the same process has to be done. I´ve tested my MacBook by using only the internal hd and internal sound card and it always the same problem.

Matthias

The problem is the same in my case with both WAV and AIFF. Since this doesn´t seem to be a wide spread problem the question comes to mind if this could be due to faulty computer hardware. My model is MacBookPro4,1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz and I´m still using Logic 8. The next step might be to install Logic on another Mac from the same cds to see if it still behaves similarly. One other thing; thinking back I don´t remember Logic having to recalculate the graphics for the first few months.

Interesting theory. My computer is approaching the age of 3, which is the time that the internal time bomb usually goes off (I'm only half kidding). I didn't have this problem with L8. I'm not doing any tracking in the near future, but I'll try to do some additional troubleshooting as soon as I can with AIFF and different drives. I don't have another computer that will run L9.

I've been experiencing this inconsistent overview redrawing as well. I wish I had a solution to offer, but I haven't found one yet.

David,

Earlier in this thread you asked if the assets were saved in the project folder in question. Must project assets be in the project folder in order to preserve the overviews (so they don't have to be recreated each time the song is opened)?

Thanks

David,

Earlier in this thread you asked if the assets were saved in the project folder in question. Must project assets be in the project folder in order to preserve the overviews (so they don't have to be recreated each time the song is opened)?

Jey Jesse! Honestly I'm not sure. I just ALWAYS save my audio files in the project folder. The more you work with the software (the way it was intended to work), the less problems you'll have, seems like.

re: working WITH Logic

Hi David! Thanks for your response.

I agree that working in accordance with Logic's conventions is generally the best strategy.

I've had some strange behavior of LP8 songs that I opened in LP9 (which I'll cover in a different post once I figure out how to accurately reproduce them). I though that maybe re-saving them in their own project folder might solve the issues. However, in some cases there were a ton of audio files, so at first I didn't resave the audio assets. In the end, it didn't make a difference either way, and I think was a red herring.

Here are some news for you: I just found out that when recording without using the punch-in/out locators Logic 8 saves the overviews perfectly. I started using the locators a wile back and didn´t realize the connection between this problem and the locators until now. Hope this solves problems for some of you.

Greetings,

MH