MPC 2000 and Logic Pro 8

malgfunk

Three choices there.

1) Quick and easy: Settings > MIDI > Input Filter, select "Control Changes". Obviously when this is selected, none of the incoming MIDI CC events will reach Logic.

2) Bit more painful: In the environment, "Click and Ports" section, add a transformer set to filter out incoming MIDI CC #7. At least the other MIDI CC #s will reach Logic!

3) Absolute best way to deal with this: spend the time to look up the settings in your MPC. Probably some "mixer" settings in a sequence or something? Once you can get the MPC to NOT send that data, you don't have to worry about anything in Logic.

For years I've been using Logic exclusively for sequencing using Battery, Ultrabeat, BFD2, and GURU. However I do use my MPC 2000 from time to time for the feel. As a producer, I like to change my approach to composing and arranging to keep it fresh, so now I've configured my setup to use the MPC as controller/sequencer where I sequence the main rhythm parts in the MPC triggering VIs in logic. Once the basic rhythm parts are done in the MPC I dump the midi info into Logic to complete the arrangement. This workflow gives me the best of both worlds and the feel only an MPC can give.

• 1 month later...
I've use my MPC2000 with Logic 8 for a few months and it works pretty well, but now there's a problem when using external midi tracks. All the midi data from the MPC goes to the highlighted track when a external midi track exists in the arrange window. I don't have a problem when only using instrument tracks. :cry:

• 1 year later...
Just curious, I'm about to buy an MPC 2000 and want to know if I'll have any issues with compatibility with Snow Leopard? Since I've installed Snow Leopard, some of my software doesn't work as well since it's 64bit as opposed to 32.....example, Logic Pro 8 doesn't work anymore, and neither does my old Garage Band, so I upgraded to iLife '11. Shame about having to buy the new Logic since the old one worked so well, but gotta do it. Any ideas?

Just curious, I'm about to buy an MPC 2000 and want to know if I'll have any issues with compatibility with Snow Leopard? Since I've installed Snow Leopard, some of my software doesn't work as well since it's 64bit as opposed to 32.....example, Logic Pro 8 doesn't work anymore, and neither does my old Garage Band, so I upgraded to iLife '11. Shame about having to buy the new Logic since the old one worked so well, but gotta do it. Any ideas?

If you're talking about the "classic" MPC2000 (or MPC2000XL), no need to worry, as these devices don't communicate directly with the computer/OS...you need a MIDI interface between them and the computer. I know there are people using Logic 8 in Snow Leopard with no problems except for some specific bugs. You can definitely run 32bit software in Snow Leopard. Possibly the problems you are seeing are related to the way you upgraded to Snow Leopard. Doing a clean install is usually the best way to go.

J.