Latency when switching patches on MacBook Pro 13"

kengetz

Also have another player with a recent MacBook Pro 13", and it contains 2GB memory. We get a serious delay when switching patches, and the CPU pegs. Could this be due to not having enough memory? Any suggestions on what would cause this delay?

What is the memory and CPU display showing?

Well, CPU is pegging (turns red, completely to the right on the meter) every time we switch a patch. The memory meter shows about 80%. It's a pretty big concert (over 150 individual patches with lots of layered instruments in each patch). We bought more RAM (should be arriving today) so hopefully will be better at 4GB. If not, I'll be back. Thanks -- Ken

Also have another player with a recent MacBook Pro 13", and it contains 2GB memory. We get a serious delay when switching patches, and the CPU pegs. Could this be due to not having enough memory? Any suggestions on what would cause this delay?

What is the memory and CPU display showing?

Well, CPU is pegging (turns red, completely to the right on the meter) every time we switch a patch. The memory meter shows about 80%. It's a pretty big concert (over 150 individual patches with lots of layered instruments in each patch)

I'd say that's you problem , Ken, and to be honest, I don't think 4 Gbwill do it (might be wrong). I use a white Macbook with 4 gigs, and I ran into problems with everything slowing up which turned out to be due to having too many instances of playback up and running - all the audio was loading into RAM.

I solved it by breaking up my concert into smaller sections, placing aliases for these on my desktop, and switching off the prompt asking me if I wanted to close the existing concert before opening a new one. Now when I want to select a new concert I minimise the existing one, and click on the alias for the new one. It does add a bit of delay, but done at strategic points in the gig, it's not noticable to the audience.

• 3 months later...