Apogee Duet and latency question in Logic, 32 sample buffer?

Hi Everyone

I purchased an Apogee Duet a few weeks ago and today I finally made time to plug it in and test it in my quad core 2.66Ghz Mac Pro. Previously, I have been using an Edirol UA-25.

My problem is the latency. If I set a buffer of 32 samples in Logic then I hear all kinds of pops/crackles/screeching. Even at 64 samples I hear the occasional crackle. With the built in audio or the Edirol, I can use 32 or 64 samples with no problem at all.

I have a very recent MacBook Pro as well (2.66Ghz), tried it with that and the results were the same.

So a question aimed at other Duet users, can you normally get down to 32 samples with no problem? Or am I expecting too much?

I am surprised that my simple USB Edirol can seem to perform than a Firewire Duet.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by tyronehowe

Hmm, might want to call Apogee but I was having a bit of extra latency with my Ensemble but they thought that was because of Leopard, I haven't had my system running for a couple weeks and have not had a chance to try it with the os updates and logic updates.

One option is the Maestro Software if the duet has it. That is pretty much 0 latency and easy to use.

They told me anything firewire should be at a buffer greater than 128 to not get the cracks and pops you are talking about.

Hmm, might want to call Apogee but I was having a bit of extra latency with my Ensemble but they thought that was because of Leopard, I haven't had my system running for a couple weeks and have not had a chance to try it with the os updates and logic updates.

Thanks Jason. I did download the latest September “fit for Snow Leopard” Duet drivers. It was just such a surprise to hear it blow apart at a 32 buffer.

They told me anything firewire should be at a buffer greater than 128 to not get the cracks and pops you are talking about.

Crikey! Well if that's the case then my questions are answered. As I said, I’m running a UA-25 (USB 1) at 32 samples no probs.

I don't use it often, but it is working great at 32 samples on my July09 MacbookPro... on modest projects. you don't happen to have an aggregate device in your audio midi settings anywhere? (even if it is not selected).

Hi - thanks for posting. :)

Nope, no aggregate used ever.

I contacted the UK distributor for Apogee and he said that it should work fine with low latencies and thinks it must be faulty. So it's going back for a replacement - but they're now out of stock, so I have a week or so wait. :?

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I've had no problems running the Duet with a 32 sample buffer in Logic 8 under either 10.5 or 10.6.

Thanks - that IS helpful. :D It's good to hear that others can run their Duet at 32 samples with no problems. makes it even more likely that mine was a duff unit.

Oddly enough, i tried mine in both L8 and L9 - and L9 was definitely worse. L8 would still give some pops and crackles at 32 samples but L9 would go into full audio meltdown.

Well, just did a test in Logic 9.0.2....same deal, instant rice crispies.

J.

Hmmm so it sounds like my original unit (that has now been sent back) might have been ok after all.

I did try it Cubase 4 as well - and again instant rice crispies. Although now I come to think of it, Cubase never was supposed to be much good at low latency on a Mac anyway.

• 1 month later...
Running LS9.02, Snow Leopard, Duet into rear FW port- set at 32 sample buffer, no issues whatsoever.

I know that doesn't help you but - there it is, fwiw.

Oh, my machine is a Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66

This is a firewire issue.

Apogee never did say what audio converters they use, they are certainly not near the standards of there higher end interfaces and it is evident that the DUET drains allot of CPU power via firewire.

example, whenever i connect a second FW4000 or FW800 drive or device the volume will drop on your monitors or headphones, try it, that should tell you something.