Best Workflow for Logic - Ultrabeat, and Battery

comeandgoband

Hey guys,

There might not be a great answer to this, but I have been fooling around with Battery lately, which obviously has some great sounds. As far as I can see, it doesn't have its own sequencer though. I love using Ultrabeat as a sequencer. Not sure if there's a good way to try to use both.

The only thing I can think of is building an ESX24 instrument, and then importing that instrument into Ultrabeat, which sounds like a painstakingly long task.

Any suggestions? Maybe something obvious I'm missing?

Unfortunately you're not missing anything. Battery doesn't have a sequencer (they suggest using an external sequencer/keyboard in their tutorials). My workflow consists of making patterns in ultrabeat, laying out my arrangements, and changing the IO to battery and doing some midi rearrangements to make sure the notes trigger the right sound. I also humanize the patterns or use the mpc quantize options to give it some vibe.

The only thing I can think of is building an ESX24 instrument, and then importing that instrument into Ultrabeat, which sounds like a painstakingly long task.

It's not too bad, actually. Well, initially anyway. The problem is if you want to edit velocity layers, etc., later on. You can't do that in UB so you have to edit that in EXS and re-import.

The other "gotcha" is that while still in EXS, in the editor, You need to be sure all your samples that have sharp attacks have a half mSec of silence added to the beginning of the files. (22 samples at 44.1k). This overcomes UB's inability to set the amp env 4 attack time in UB to zero. Otherwise, some sharp attacks are going to be softened. If you have Sample Manager, this is easy to do in a batch using the "Pad File" workflow.

That's the downside. The upside is cool though. Right now I'm working with a pure acoustic trap set. It's a really nice kit for EXS from iAcoustica. It's a 4 velocity layer sampled kit. I want to use it for something a bit more "fusion" -esque so I imported all the voices into UB and have "enhanced" their sounds by adding oscillator 2 and/or 3 with some pitch and filter envelopes. It's really doing a nice job of sweetening and punching up the sound while still keeping it true to a trapset feel. That's not something you can do in Battery, as much as I like Battery for just pure sampled stuff.

As far as doing what I suggest if starting from a Battery drumset first, well that would be a painstakingly long effort. But maybe worth it for the right kit.

I can't remember if this is do-able or not - but in the environment you can set the midi to monitor out, so could that not be rewired to your track with battery?

Failing that - could you try to set both tracks to record, then when the midi comes out of the UB seq, would it also trigger battery???

PURELY theoretical - can someone verify these?