Making my own FX

Well, what kind of grating noise? Brushes scraping on a cymbal? An example would be good...

Regarding a sound that has no tonal base (which is not the same as "atonal", which can include pitches) you can use any of the synths that have a noise oscillator. ES1 and ESP, ES1, ES2.

Shiv, thanks for quoting my imagination. How you do dat?

There are many ways you can create 'atonal' sounds in logic.

The feed back from the delays, the ring modulators, strings and lots of reverb/delay,pitch shifting, arpeggiated feedback, etc.

You are going to have to sit down (light up a blunt) and play. It's all there so take notes as you go in case you find something interesting.

OK, all these synths still sound like, say, a C Major chord. I want it to sound like one of the effects in the loops bin. Like "Whoosh slow" for instance.

The ES2 is well suited to evolving noises, particularly using the vector tools. Check out the "Warped Synth" preset category for some examples. The manual covers this synth pretty well, but if you have no previous training in subtractive synthesis, you may want to study up on the basics. Lots of internet resources for that now, books too.

How do I get an atonal synth that I can mess with in Logic?

Should have asked...

How do I get a Henway synth that I can mess with in Logic?

What is a "Henway"?

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/02/05/new-windows-synth-great-for-spooky-atonal-noise/

that's so funny.....that synthopia link was real....really thought it was gonna be a rick-roll or something like that...

Dude, you need to resolve your first question. That is, reply and answer to the questions posed, take suggestions, try what has been proposed and report back if and how it helped your problem or not. Otherwise folks who cared to reply will not do so any longer, as they won't care if you don't.

Then you can ask a new question, but do so in a separate thread.

Christian

Edited by fuzzfilth

My sincerest apologies....

I ended up going with a variation on the Solo Cello in Sculpture. Thanks all for your advice. While it still has a note value sound... I'm beginning to wonder if any sounds don't. Ever hummed along with a vacuum cleaner?

Anyway, thanks everybody, problem solved. For now, at least. :D

While it still has a note value sound... I'm beginning to wonder if any sounds don't. Ever hummed along with a vacuum cleaner?

That"s what I was thinking when i first saw the thread (as any sound has a fundamental frequency which can be transalted to a tone. SO even a horn on a car is tuned. As long as you play a note on your midi keyboard to trigger the synth, you're sending a tonality information ...

That's the way I see it anyway, but I could be completely wrong.

I remember back on the pc days, I used to use Sound forge to analyze an audio file and it'd give you the frequency of it (but that was quite random to me).