Cross Fade with multiple Regions in one pass? [SOLVED]

Mojave

How long the cross fades need to be? Wouldn't you want the shortest you can get away with? How would you determine that? I'm digging through my Logic 8 book and I have downloaded the Logic 9 manual, If anyone knows what chapter and section to read, would be thankful for the quick tip. Also if you know of a Tutorial Video that deals with this, Say on Macropvideo.com, I would be interested to check that out.

You can do this from the inspector. Highlight all your regions, select crossfade in the inspector and enter how long you want the crossfade to be. There is no key command for this unfortunately.

is this just in logic 9 or can you do it in 8 too? can't find this option

You can do this from the inspector. Highlight all your regions, select crossfade in the inspector and enter how long you want the crossfade to be. There is no key command for this unfortunately.

is this just in logic 9 or can you do it in 8 too? can't find this option

It works in both 8 and 9.

1) Select all the regions that need crossfading. Note that a crossfade is applied at the END of the selected region(s), so if you have 4 regions in a row, only select the first 3 - or it will automatically add a fade-out at the end of the 4th one.

2) In the region parameter box at the top left of the Arrange window, where it says "Fade - Out", click "Out" and choose "EqP". That stands for Equal Power, the smoothest Xfade type of curve.

3) To the right of "EqP", click-hold your mouse and drag up to raise the Xfade length (in ms). My default "go-to" Xfade is 20 or 25ms for instruments, 10ms for drums and 1ms for hi-hat or overhead tracks. Of course this depends on the material, genre and tempo.

Note: If you select multiple regions and the value for any of the parameters is not the same for all regions, the region parameter box will display an asterisk (*) in place of that value.

xfades.png.93be0059d8f689163b5c32a26b67c121.png

oh also..

I guess this audio region menu box is the what is called the inspector then?

I've often wondered what the loop option at the top actually does?

I've used Logic for years but there are still some functions I didn't know it did that would probably make my use more efficient...actually it definitely would

David,

Your bad ass. That is an answer and exactly the kind of fully clearly explained answer I so earnestly needed. My book comes tomorrow, if I get lucky and the stars align soon, I will, after completing the book course, be enrolling in one of your classes.

I got the asterisk (*) as seen in my picture

Click thislinkto see my screen shot, don't want to hog up space on the board.

This asterisk means that out of your 76 selected regions, at least one doesn't have the same values as the others for the "Fade" parameter. Remember that the "Fade" parameter has two values: type (EqP, Out etc..) and length (in ms). This typically happens when selecting regions that don't have anything to crossfade into, so Logic just applies a fade out on those ones instead, and the result is an asterisk in the region parameter box. Makes sense?

Nevertheless, asterisk or not, you should still be able to click-hold your mouse over the time (a little further on the right into the blank space, where the time would normally appear) and drag up/down to adjust.

If I do the region i want I get the asterisk

You can only get an asterisk when selecting multiple regions.

• 8 months later...
Just about anything can get a key command in Logic and I would expect if one is not in place, It may be devised. For that super tricky stuff, I either research to see if I can do it or ask greater minds then my own. I did not make a key command but oddly enough. Iw as thinking about this topic today. I will investigate and report back.

• 2 years later...

sorry to jump in on an old topic, but is there a way to add a fade to the beginning and end? i have to do some narration for work in which we have decent isolation, but not zero noise. to prevent clicks i need to add a slight fade at the beginning and end of each phrase, and the timing can be fairly arbitrary.

thank you!

sorry to jump in on an old topic, but is there a way to add a fade to the beginning and end? i have to do some narration for work in which we have decent isolation, but not zero noise. to prevent clicks i need to add a slight fade at the beginning and end of each phrase, and the timing can be fairly arbitrary.

You can't add the Fade-In and Fade-Out simultaneously but you can add fades to multiple regions at the same time.

Select all of the regions that you want to add fades to. In the Inspector set your Fade-In time and your Fade-Out time.