portable audio recorder for: everything?

Hi, I'm a music producer and sound artist (electroacustic music, field recordings and soundscapes etc). I'm looking to invest in a portable audio recorder which, given my recordings needs (everything from instruments to interviews to atmospheric noise) can pretty much record anything in really high quality. Most recorders i've looked at are really good for some things and not others. some have a small size and large memory but no phantom power, others have full xlr inputs but are way too big and bulky.

I suppose i'm going digital... or should i stick with analog tape? heh

anyway, lemme kno your thoughts, suggestions and opinions. all are welcome

thx

ROL

Unless you want a google list of "portable field recorder", state your needs explicitly. People are definitely weak in mind reading when consulted for free.

Christian

i'm really just interested in what random bits of information that come up. I figure most people who are really happy with their particular piece of equipment wont hesitate to suggest it. I was trying to be vague in my post for that reason.

thanks for the insight though

right on, i've heard good things about the microtrack recorders as well (which is odd, because i hate m-audio's primarily crap products)

at this point im actually looking at just getting a second hand 1st generation microtrack to use in the mean time. then renting various more expensive recorders to get a feel for them before dropping a ton of money.

hopefully the 1st gen microtrack is not too outdated/bad quality. i am looking to do professional sounding recordings..

....i'm drooling over that nagra

The Sound Devices 702 is pretty much the going workhorse these days:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/702.htm

ah interesting. i was wondering what the going standard was, so that's good to hear.

also a shame that nagra stopped making them. i was unaware of that. although i suppose in my case it's not a huge setback as i'm planning on buying something second hand, heh. at my school's equipment sign out cage they have an old reel to reel 1/4 inch nagra that's just beautiful, and i sort of caught the bug from that thing.

Not even Nagra makes a portable analog tape recorder any more!

Wait - they do!! Not in their "pro" line though, and its a miniature thing. I guess it's more for collectors, or as a Xmas present for your grandma maybe. :lol: Or if you're shooting a James Bond movie and need some fun accessory because otherwise the script sucks.

http://www.nagraaudio.com/highend/index.php

http://www.nagraaudio.com/highend/images/SNST-R_page.jpg

Not even Nagra makes a portable analog tape recorder any more!

Wait - they do!! Not in their "pro" line though, and its a miniature thing. I guess it's more for collectors, or as a Xmas present for your grandma maybe. :lol: Or if you're shooting a James Bond movie and need some fun accessory because otherwise the script sucks.

http://www.nagraaudio.com/highend/index.php

http://www.nagraaudio.com/highend/images/SNST-R_page.jpg

lol seen...

plus the name of it seems to spell "sinister" minus every other letter. sweeet.

Hey, I've used the SN! Back in the eighties, on some B movie I can't remember now. You wouldn't believe how good those things sound!

I'll never part with my Nagra IV though. One of my prized possessions.

I'll never part with my Nagra IV though. One of my prized possessions.

I'll trade ya for an S1000! :D

i'm pretty sure a friend of mine just bought his for about 3 grand.. it seemed a bit high to me, really high actually. but it looks soooo niiiiiiceeeeee

There are the Zoom H series, I own the H4, brilliant choice.

Its own Mics are good, but really sensitive to wind noise, so I'm studying how to built a DIY zeppelin windscreen that allows me to reach the buttons...

It has phantom, line in/out, SD slot.

It's discontinued, but still a good choise, I think.

Also the H2 is appealing: there is a video where Peter Herskine uses it to record live his band

I´ve got a H4n.. its not so expensive so you dont have to be too careful doing fieldrecordngs.. :D Tried the Sony PCM D-50 too, better soundquality, but then due to the price, i felt that i would be too careful and not taking chances out on the field trying to catch the nicest sounds..

Cons

-No XLR input

-No timestamp

-Wind noise hard to avoid

g

According to the H2 web page:

"BWF compatible time stamping and track markers

The H2 supports BWF(Broadcast Wave Format)used by broadcasting studios and for other professional applications. Your files can be set with timestamp information and markers(cue points)during recording. This makes playback and editing much more efficient."

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/

I own one and love it too. Great for the money.

According to the H2 web page:

"BWF compatible time stamping and track markers

The H2 supports BWF(Broadcast Wave Format)used by broadcasting studios and for other professional applications. Your files can be set with timestamp information and markers(cue points)during recording. This makes playback and editing much more efficient."

My god you're right! How did I miss that before?! :?

I love this thing even more now! :D

I have a Microtrack II, and absolutely LOVE it. It's fantastic, and is all set (with an XLR <-> TRS adapter or two) to use any mic you want, unlike something like the Yamaha Pocketrack.

I've also been on the other end of the spectrum and used the 702t for location audio on a few short films. If I had the money, this would be, hands-down, my go-to field recorder. It's sleek, sounds excellent, sturdy... looks like christmas lights when it's lit up. Well, that's minor, but it was nice.

• 4 months later...